Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Help with buying tackle

Default Help with buying tackle

Hey guys, I want to start fishing with my two sons (7 and 10). We're new at this. I've been doing some research on what gear to buy and wanted to ask for some help. We'll be fishing in local lakes in Los Angeles, including Kenneth Hahn SRA. Later this Summer we'll go hit up the bigger lakes in the mountains. I figure we'll be fishing cat and pan fish at Kenneth Hahn. later in the summer I suppose it will be Bass and trout at the bigger lakes, at least that's what I assume.

So that's what we're after. What suggestions for rods and reels do you have? We're on a budget so nothing too fancy. From my research I was thinking a spinning reel with a medium-light power fast action rod for myself? Maybe a couple small spin-cast reels for my boys? I had a couple Zebcos as a kid and have fond memories of those growing up, not sure if that's the same thing.

What kid of tackle should I buy for us to use for lake fishing in southern california during the summer? Should we do a mix of live bait and lures?

All suggestions are welcome, thanks for taking the time to help me out. :)

alveraz,

at ages 7 and 10, i'd honestly try to see if they would be comfortable with a spinning set up. I know that all of us may have cut our teeth using spincast combos, but i wish I would've been handed a spinning rod from the beginning.

what is your budget? There are so many rods and reels on the market right now that getting a rough idea on how much you want to spend on each combo, or on all three combined, would be a good starting point, before people start suggesting items that may or may not be in your budget range.

As far as tackle? That's another Pandora's Box, as you can get away with a tiny plastic Plano box with all the bare necessities, or you can be dragging around a tackle bag the size of an army duffel bag. It really depends on what type of fishing you will be most comfortable with. I'd recommend getting some basics and then expanding from there.

If you're gonna be fishing in the summer, you're going to be pretty much relegated to fishing for warm water species, which includes panfish, catfish, and bass. Trout are more of a 'winter' fish, and unless you're doing some serious lead coring/trolling, trout will be hard to come by.

Because the species vary greatly, you'll be wanting a variety of terminal tackle. The tackle question also varies greatly, and is really going to be determined on how much you want to spend.

go to bass pro shops and pick out a few spinning combos, this will be the cheapest option for you while still retaining some quality in the rods/reels. As far as terminal tackle, hooks, weights, those kinds of things, you cant beat the prices at walmart but buying hooks in bulk at bps is actualy cheaper in the long run. Also buy a few extra spools of line because we all know kids have troubles and arent the best at casting, my nephew is a profesional when it comes to casting into a tree lol.

Both of those replies are all you need to read bro! Only thing I have to add is your smaller tackle shops probably have guys that are going to be a lot more aware of you need species wise! Good luck!
    Last edited by HawgStalker; 06-27-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Couple of Shimano Saharas on some ultralight ugly stick 6' 4lb rigs should do them well for learning.

Nightcrawlers catch anything that moves, for beginners.
    Small pieces on bobbers for bluegill, bass or trout. Or drop shot them or c-rig etc.

You can try small jerkbaits and crankbaits on the bass too. Little rapala lures and trout spinners (panther Martin holographic) will do you good for small bass when all else is tough pickins. When winter rolls around they slay the trout in the rivers and lakes.
    They also do good on bluegills!

Make sure the kids wear some good eye protection while fishing their first lures.
    Lure fishing is not always good, but when you catch with lures over nightcrawlers, it can be very rewarding.
    When you learn to do it good, you can fool the fish better than bait! It's good to start young!

I personally know places I can go every day and catch fish on all five of the lures below. May not be big, but any given time they will work at several places I know.

Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-27-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Wow, some great tips guys, thanks! Very cool of you guys to take the time to help me out. I'll run with your tips and update how our first trip goes in a few weeks. Thanks again. :)