Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fairmont Frustration 6/6

Default Fairmont Frustration 6/6

So I got one of my buddies to go down to fairmont park yesterday to do our old schpeel: Carp on ultralight line.
    We arrived around 3pm and it was a bit busy, our usual spot crowded, so we found a spot around the corner that was clear, got our lines in the water and got to it.

About 45minutes into it, some jackass with his little RC boat comes by, he can't see where the boat is and goes right over my line, drags it through the 3 other lines we had out. He then proceeds to cut my line without a second thought of "hey, I should untangle this, he's been nice enough to not start yelling at me." Then him and his girlfriend immediately leave before we can say anything. We took about 15 minutes to untangle things and get lines set back up.

Then about 30 minutes after that, two guys using what I think was ocean gear and what looked like a plastic start casting right by our lines, I tell them "Hey, you're close to our lines." Guy nods and says "Oh, okay" Then 10 minutes later, lo-and-behold! He tangles in my line, pulls it in, snaps it off and then leaves like nothing happened. I'm pretty pissed at this point.

So I get set back up, cast out. About 20 minutes alter I finally get a hit. And its a big fish. I set the hook and feel this guy just start peeling line off. I set my drag downa bit, but he keeps peeling line. I watch him head out into the lake, and they'res almost nothing I can do. I finally get him to turn, getting some line back in, only to have him take twice as much as I gained. Its going to be a long fight, and I'm stoked.

Then the guy in his Trolling-motor powered pontoon float-tube thing goes RIGHT OVER MY LINE. Cuts the line.

Just a bad day in general... Gonna have to remember to avoid that lake on the weekends from now on.

Wait..a pontoon in the lake? This guy must be a part of the lake maintenance or some higher powered permitted person (PPP). I like to call them the "3 pissers". Asked the City to grant me the same for my tube, but rejected me like a freaking bad habit.

As for the ocean gears, I know exactly what you're talking about. Plenty of those guys, Asians and hispanic alike, hauling in 10+ ft gears, 20+ lbs lines, and using 1 to 2 oz sinkers, casting 100+ feet right in the middle of the lake. It's like a freaking bomb going off in the middle of that lake when the impact happened.

Evans gone way down hill with solid bites. Nibbles, nibbles, maybe a bite, and plenty of other lines all over the place for the buggers to cross and tangle up. Well, just be patient and go there during a Thur or early Sat (5 to 12). Less idjits to worry about.

I feel your pain. That place has no one regulating the fishery or park. Therefore, you get very uneducated and ghetto individuals there. I have not been there in awhile because it is just really ghetto right now. Sunday nights are really good.

Bent Rods For Life,
    Rapala17

I was there too I seen that R/C boat across the lake from me.That place could be a nice lake if people had more respect for that park.Ive seen baby bottles,condoms,dead birds theres so much trash in the water its horrible.

For the guy that broke your line on the pontoon, i wouldve freakin throw a rock at him or casted my line at him or something, that was a dick move. I know what you mean about people crossing you up then acting like nothing happend. The rc boat thing happened to me with like some 13 year old kid except i had a fish on and the boat dragged my line down and ended up getting broken because of the pressure of me the boat and the fish. I didnt let the kid go and becuase i was by myself i let the kid have it and chewed him out so bad he was bleeding from teeth marks. lol. sorry about the bad day, i get the same bad experiences almost everytime i go to park lakes. that partially why i dont fish them anymore. Your a better man than me for not letting the people who caused those incidents have it.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Wow! When I go, I don't even see anyone. But I go early on weekdays. When I catch a nice fish, usually there's no one there to witness it. Recently though there was a bunch of women walkers right by me that stopped to watch me fighting and land a good bass. One of them must have known about fishing because she said, "Look!... that man has hooked a bass!.. and it's a big one too!" Too funny.

I'm like fishmounter, go early morning week days and hardly see anyone. I don't catch anything either. I see bass but I haven't figured out what technique works best. The mornings that I have gone there are the groups of "community service" people with trash bags but they aren't picking up any trash from the water. There are even some police cadets that run and they all say individually "sir, good morning, how are you sir." It's close to work and it's better then working on bids all day.

Like Fishmounter and Kelster said, the best time to go to Fairmount is as early as you can manage. The tweakers are all still passed out and sleeping, the ducks and geese dont have a million people feeding them, and the bucketeers havent arrived with their 6 poles. Now that summer is approaching getting up before dawn is probably your best bet to catch a bass and have a peaceful time.

If you want to do any sort of topwater there, you will HAVE to be there before dawn. Frogging is a different matter; the lilypads are growing out at Browns pond and it wont be long before bass hide under them to avoid the sun and soak up warmth.

See you guys there early in the morning ;)
    Last edited by tree; 06-07-2011 at 08:51 AM.