Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rowing oars on tubes

I can't wait to see those pictures and to know how well it worked in an actual test, haha.

Okay..here's my strip down of the tube and the PVC frame. A bit overkill on the enforcement straps, and PVC framing, but for good reasons. The dual sided frame create equal bouyancy. On top of that, distribution of weights throughout the frame and stress factors due to the poles and excess equipment on the three straps will create less tension on the tube's body, especially with the oars being used. I'll be strapping the Humminbird 728 fish finder on in about a week, and this dual frame rig will level out the transducer nicely without causing the angle to create false readout.

I also did tension test on the oars' mounting point, the test exceeded my expectation on a 1" PVC tube over 150 pounds angular tension without cracking or snapping. This is 3 times the amount of the stress that the oars put during rowing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1711.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	31135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1708.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	31136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	31137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	31138  

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    Hi all. Not certain if some one already successfully modified their tubes to accommodate oars. There are a few new tubes (mixed between tubes and kayak) with oars holders. Some modified their old Fat Cats with PVC tubes and straps for their oars. Anyone tried with any other tubes like U-tubes and/or round ones and successfully using the oars without massive failures for the past 6 to 8 trips?

I'm in the process of modifying my tubes, but don't want to spend hundreds in messing around with prototypes that may fail miserably in the water. Any hint or insights would be much appreciated. Fighting wind and navigating the water more than 3 miles at a time can be exhausting using just fins. Not even an avid snorkler and seasonal diver like myself can handle tube long treks without the dire exhaustion.
    I agree with you about it being exhausting to be kicking not to mention the charlie horses you can get in your legs--that makes it real fun! I got blown from one end of June Lake in icy water to the other, I could no longer get back to my launch site than fly over the moon MOOOOOOOOOO :>) Had to call friends on the radio to come get me with the boat. I was using an Outcast Super Fat Cat. When I arrived back home, I put an ad up and sold it. Never looked back.

I recently bought a Dave Scadden Escape frameless pontoon boat rated at Class 3 white water, holds 500 X#, has oars with oar locks, has a foot rest, you can kick with fins as much as you want, if you get tired or have cramps, you simply put your feet up and rest while rowing if that's what you want to do. You can just put your legs up on the pontoons and lean back in the comfortable fabric seat and chill out. The boat weighs a whole 20 #. How easy is that?? If you want to check them out go to: northforkoutdoors.com and take a look.

I want the extra room in the back the next size up will give me. The larger new boat is arriving tomorrow. I will take pics of the smaller (and less expensive) boat this week end and post ads on Craigslist, FishingNetwork, etc, etc.
    You might consider looking at these. They are top of the line in their field. Scadden used to design for Outcast until he started his own company. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable.

I think it's better by a long shot to pony up and get a Dave Scadden than wasting your time and money on building something that may not work well, causing you frustration and stress. I say get it done the right way. I've tried other less expensive ways to rig my old kayaks and frankly, it was a whole lot of time and work and I really wasn't satisfied with my amateur adventure into making something actually work and work well.

Thanks for the info. I actually saw Dave Scadden and his floats. Got me interested for myself and my boy.

Keep an eye on ebay. I got me a almost new PAC 800 for just $500 a couple of years ago (there were a bunch that summer). Since then I rarely use my Fat Cat at all (just keep it around for friends). I also own a Watermaster Grizzly (Big Sky inflatables) which I've had since '97.

Check out http://www.kickboat.com/
    Or http://www.waterstrider.com/index.html

Won't fish without anything that doesn't have a paddle anymore.
    As for getting blown around the lake I have an 8# boat anchor and/or 5# grapel anchor (Kayaking) for my PAC 800 & Watermaster, that I use to control drift. Been in 15-20 mph winds on Crowley and have never been blown so far away that I couln't get back. Usually I end up towing my friends back.
    As for transporting a pontoon check out this link.
    http://www.launchinggear.com/index.htm
    Maybe a bit expensive but makes transporting to and from the lake all worth it. Used to make muliple trips to launch then pack all gear to the water, now I can load it up and wheel it all down to the water.
    For my Watermaster I just use a Kayak cart.
    Don't know how much use I will get from any of these "Toys" now, since I just got into Kayaking (have a Mini-X and a new Pro Explorer). Again anything with a paddle.
    Hope this gives you some ideas of my toys and how I've adapted to some of the drawbacks from each.
    Sorry I only have pics of my PAC 800. Never bothered to take pics or have pics taken of me and my Watermaster.
    LW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dressed up Bass Machine.4.27.10.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	31173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAC 800 Castaic Lake 9.9.06.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	31174  

Hey Liteweight you and I think alike our outcast are set up almost the same way.

Thanks for the nice photos. And they say I pack my tubes with junks..

Quote Originally Posted by HBAR View Post
    Hey Liteweight you and I think alike our outcast are set up almost the same way.
    Yep, I noticed your post. That's what prompted me to post pics. I carry a Cabelas' DB=(Denny Brauer) Large=(3600) tackle bag inside a milk crate with 4 PVC tubes straped to the corners for rod holders and a 3-rod holder attached to the outside on the platform. Does your seat swivel? I found it helpful when reaching for one of the rods in the back.

Thanks for the nice photos. And they say I pack my tubes with junks..
    "It's better to have and not need than need and not have." Isn't that what fishings' all about? I'm doing my part to keep the economy going!
    LW
    Last edited by Liteweight; 06-16-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: additn'l info

Okay..here's my strip down of the tube and the PVC frame. A bit overkill on the enforcement straps, and PVC framing, but for good reasons. The dual sided frame create equal bouyancy. On top of that, distribution of weights throughout the frame and stress factors due to the poles and excess equipment on the three straps will create less tension on the tube's body, especially with the oars being used. I'll be strapping the Humminbird 728 fish finder on in about a week, and this dual frame rig will level out the transducer nicely without causing the angle to create false readout.

I also did tension test on the oars' mounting point, the test exceeded my expectation on a 1" PVC tube over 150 pounds angular tension without cracking or snapping. This is 3 times the amount of the stress that the oars put during rowing.
    Thanks for the info and pics i will try this on odc 420 soon i hope. I do agree i never had a toon but i think it would be best but i need my ride to be as compact as possible when i load up for a weekend of camping and take the whole family it is very hard to get all my camping gear loaded and that’s without my fishing gear so a tube in my case is a must especially when i need to load more than one so adding oars to my tube would make my summer don’t have to rely on just fins to get me around. The biggest bonus would be the satisfaction of knowing my tube will be quite unique some of us do take pride in moding our stuff to accommodate our needs :D so Thank you TheAsianGuy for all the pics and info BTW there are Toons that start at $200.00 when on sale

[QUOTE=Liteweight;555979]Yep, I noticed your post. That's what prompted me to post pics. I carry a Cabelas' DB=(Denny Brauer) Large=(3600) tackle bag inside a milk crate with 4 PVC tubes straped to the corners for rod holders and a 3-rod holder attached to the outside on the platform. Does your seat swivel? I found it helpful when reaching for one of the rods in the back.

Of course I have a swivel I also scored a Minn kota trolling motor from the sports authority in burbank for 39.99 a while back, I have the depth finder cables routed thru the frame on the left side and the battery either sits in a spinner bait box or in the box in the crate, still have to figure out how I'm gonna get the bigger battery and trolling motor on there without too much rear end weight. Trolling motor will help me out since I just had knee surgery, get out to the point once there either float around and or kick as little as possible until knee heals.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast