Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rowing oars on tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Ronira View Post
    With the oarlock being the fulcrum and the blade of the oar being below the water line where does that put the handle of the oar? Every time I picture it in my head I can't see a way to keep the handles low enough but I guess it depends on how high you sit.
    You are smacked right on that subject. I've been thinking and thinking about that. I've been calculating, sitting in the three tubes that I have, visualized the oars multiple length, and measured the fulcrum and the traveling axises to ensure everything plays out correctly. This is why I ask for insights for those who may have modified their tubes and yaks. However, the fulcrums actually will be sitting about 2'7" beyond my stomach, or 3'8" from my central axis of my hip to upper body, and 15" to each side of the tube. The height of each fulcrum requires a bit of tweaking, since I don't have the exact detail on the telescoping oars' from Sevylor yet. Will be getting it this Thu. Since the tube (Caddis Nevada) has already been retrofit with PVC pipes to accommodate 3 rods on each side, I'm taking two forward rod holders off to ensure proper room for the oars to rotate without hindrance. By rough estimation based on Sevylor oars' length description, 24 to 32 inches will go from fulcrum to water, where as the other 17 to 24 inches will be adjusted accordingly from fulcrum to my hand, leveling just below chest height, spacing 8 to 10 inches between oars' handle tips. Still, this is just visualization on my part. No materials for definitely answers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I have known about registration. It's fairly easy and cheap so shouldn't be out of the option.
    Has anyone ever thought of mounting a small motor on your person? Perhaps then registration would not be required like it is when a trolling motor is mounted to the tube?
    There is a way around that registration. Once you slap that trolling motor on, there's no way around it. However, slap a kid's pool jetski motor or a diving motor under the tube, you've exploited the loop hole for not registering. However, 1 to 2 hours of power, running at 2 to 3 miles per hour..well, can't cover too much ground with such a small amount of power there..if you're out of juice, you're dead stuck with tons of weight to haul back either using paddles/oars or fins. Not worth it.

so basically what you want is something like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishin at Hansen dam Jan 15 016.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	30975  

Something similar. But I'm not about to fork out another $400 to $600 to get a floating pontoon with all the trimming. On top of that, transporting that to-and-fro from the water can be a freaking pain. I can understand that inflatable pontoons are light..but can you imagine? Wind factor added, you'll drift like an out of control aircraft, even when you're planted down with an anchor. At least, in the tube, you can adjust quickly with fins..I think I'm over analyzing things too much But the frame on that pontoon..hm...

Actually at first it was a PIA getting to and from water but then I added the wheel attachment to it and wheel it like a wheel barrel to the water take the wheel off and I'm good to go. You don't see it on there anywhere since I get it to the water when 90% ready then go back to truck put on hip boots and I'm back in it. As far as adjusting with the wind, it's not that much harder then a regular tube with fins on.

Sounds like you have questions about the frame, PM me and we'll take it from there, by the way it's an Outcast PAC 9

No..just thinking of a PVC undercarriage frame like yours to reinforce the oars delivery power. Too much info is rushing all over inside my head, and not too much info is being used. I'll let you all know by tomorrow night.

Done! Modified the tube earlier, and tested in the pool. Worked beautifully. The 1"x10" riser allowed me to have the oar's lifted above the accessory pouches, while allowing the oars to engage the water at chest level. I'll post some photos during Sat excursion at Lake Perris. If this works, I may not require a single person pontoon. However, dual persons..that's something else.

Looking forward to the pics TheAsianGuy. If I ever run into you at Perris I'll let you jump on my pontoon and that will ruin you for sure!

Evil! Evil! But would love to give it a try. Retrofitting it with a trolley motor would be great too.

If you want to ck out my toon setup with my trolling motor look back at my post on 8/29/09.The photo taken by tacklejunkie, my old fishing buddy. Not to brag but I have yet to see one I like better. I would bring the pic up but as you can see in the photo I'm somewhat of a geezer and the knowhow eludes me.

Saw your toon! If that's the same one that you're planning to let me hop onto, you might lose yourself that toon! I have the Optima Gold deep cycle battery in the back of my SUV which we normally use for camping purposes, that I can readily remove after a nice long charge during the week. Tell me oh master on the toon..show should I present my plead with the the missus (total costs that is) before she spears me with a BBQ fork..then buy the things for me as she feels sorry for my injuries.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast