Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowing oars on tubes

Default Rowing oars on tubes

Hi all. Not certain if some one already successfully modified their tubes to accommodate oars. There are a few new tubes (mixed between tubes and kayak) with oars holders. Some modified their old Fat Cats with PVC tubes and straps for their oars. Anyone tried with any other tubes like U-tubes and/or round ones and successfully using the oars without massive failures for the past 6 to 8 trips?

I'm in the process of modifying my tubes, but don't want to spend hundreds in messing around with prototypes that may fail miserably in the water. Any hint or insights would be much appreciated. Fighting wind and navigating the water more than 3 miles at a time can be exhausting using just fins. Not even an avid snorkler and seasonal diver like myself can handle tube long treks without the dire exhaustion.

Unless you can get your legs out of the water I think there would be to much drag for oars to be effective on a tube. Also they would have to be really short to work when you sit that low in the water and would probably be in your way more than not.

Positioning of the oars' locks can be raised above the tube using PVC risers for both side, since I already modified the tubes to hold extra rods. I'll definitely keep in mind the oars' length to be short, probably using telescoping oars. I'll be using the fins as primary propulsion, while using the oars as additional power to get point A to point B a bit faster. Is that feasible?

I guess so, why not? If you raise the oarlocks to much you might have to row above your shoulders but it would be cool to see what you come up with.

I have seen people just use a kayak paddle and store it in the back/side of the tube when not on the move.
    Get a paddle mounting clip/set.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-06-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronira View Post
    If you raise the oarlocks to much you might have to row above your shoulders but it would be cool to see what you come up with.
    Hm..thought long and hard about that comment. I may be looking like some weird guy with with his arms raised like a freaking robot after I'm done for the day due to muscle tension lock. I've measured over and over again, and even with the riser go high enough to prevent the oars from touching the tube, my elbows remain lower than my chest. We'll see how well it goes after I complete it.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I have seen people just use a kayak paddle and store it in the back/side of the tube when not on the move.
    Get a paddle mounting clip/set.
    Paddle and tube. Hm..I don't know how those guys managed it. The side pouches must scrape the crap out of their arms and armpits. That's why I like to use oars. Equalize of strength distribution, no friction between body parts and tube body, and twice the amount of power delivered hopefully equally on both sides of the tube. This will also help me to haul in those who are with me when they get exhausted from their own activities in the water.

Just relaying what I've seen.

I think I also saw japanese tubes with trolling motor mounts or something like that.
    They make much more advanced gear than we do.

Like pretty much everything else Can't wait for their prototype of fishing with a fish..a battery operated fish hunter, that looks like a fish, and loaded with torpedo harpoons! Now..that's hunting! Anything with a troller motor requires registration with the State. Not about to do that with my tube.

With the oarlock being the fulcrum and the blade of the oar being below the water line where does that put the handle of the oar? Every time I picture it in my head I can't see a way to keep the handles low enough but I guess it depends on how high you sit.

I think maybe if the handles were out front of you it would work but you'd have to have a long tube or something.
    I have seen nylon paddle mount rings that will mount to just about anything.

then maybe you could put clips on the back and make some micro paddles that swivel over and clip out of the way like our pontoons were.

I do know that using a shortened kayak paddle on a tube just to get you to your spot is a lot quicker than kicking there though. It is manageable and highly possible on a fish cat type tube.

I have known about registration. It's fairly easy and cheap so shouldn't be out of the option.
    Has anyone ever thought of mounting a small motor on your person? Perhaps then registration would not be required like it is when a trolling motor is mounted to the tube?
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-07-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast