Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Anybody fly fishing at Lake Perris?

Default Anybody fly fishing at Lake Perris?

I'd like to try some fly fishing at Perris, but would like a little insight from someone who is working a fly rod there. I new to fly fishing but not to fishing.

I've got a couple hundred woolybuggers stuck on the bottom of that place. What would you like to know? Fly fishing is really no different than fishing in that there are so many ways to do it so let me know what you have to work with.

dont know about you guys, but stick a fly lure, mainly Betsy's floating bugs made from sponges and foams, or the woolies, using my spin reels. Works like charms when I run out of live baits to play with. but those freaking fishes can do a number on those lures after a few times. they rip those lures apart before a solid bit. here's a trick that I play with: use a nice 2 to 3 feet leader. tie the fly lure at the very end, add a swivel, then a clear float that you can add a bit of water into it for additional weight without it sinking, then another swivel with a 2 to 3 inch play between the swivels. attach the swivel to the main line, and it's perfect weight for a 20+ feet cast every time. you can do this while you're shore fishing (reel the lure in every 10 to 20 seconds for an incremental 1 foot to entice), or just play old trolling method on tubes. If you're on tubes, make sure you slack the line for a good 10 to 15 feet. I normally give a 30 feet behind me so I don't spook them with my fins.

i just recently started to fish at lake perris w flies. i have caught a few large bluegill, and one bass on deer hair bugs, and a shad pattern. the most success has been on the east end w rubber worms in blue, and black.

Tried Googling Betsy's but didn't turn up much. Is there another name for them? Would love to try your method!

Hey Ed, how are you doing? Do you still float tube Perris? Since they closed the Bernasconi area and the east side to retrofit the back of the dam, I have not been float tubing at Perris. It's been several years now. I do go out with my neighbor that keeps his pontoon boat in the marina, but we just fish our ultralight outfits for the large Bluegill and Redears and any crappie that we come across. You should look up Bob Gains on the nice website BigBluegill.com. (He's a member, as am I.) He only uses a fly rod while he fishes from a float tube for Bluegill along the east shore. Bob is our age also, and the distance to kick from a float tube from lot 11&12 or Bernasconi is quite lengthy. He is in way better shape than me! Bob basically uses a floating line with a sinking tip, a 6 or 8 lb leader and a dark colored size 6 (?) Wooly Bugger with some strands of holographic Flashabou tied in. He does pretty good and has some great photos! I'm going to send you a PM Ed..

By the way, the guy that's up a couple of comments.."Flying" really knows his stuff and probably knows about fly fishing Perris better than anyone I've met there. I've crossed paths with him while 'tubing at the lake several times and it seemed like he was always hooked into a fish.

Go with a sink tip 6 or 8 weight and tug a big black bugger with a red head, you should be able to pick off numerous species.

So dummy me just looked at the original date of vortex_cruiser's question about fly fishing Perris. It's 7 years old! Looks like three of us took the bait and replied! I even just sent him a PM because we met and float tubed together at LP back in 2011! Anyone know his where abouts? Very nice guy and a good fisherman too.