Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/3 Report Dana point

Quote Originally Posted by catfish 17 View Post
    Don't go to danas wharf! That place is a waste of time! I check their fishcounts often and never catch ****!! When i started deep sea fishing, i started going there, and i thought it was just me that wasn't catching fish, but it was everyone. That place is the worst, i don't even know how they still running their busisness lol. Go to any other landing, it's way better. trust.
    If they would hit the boilers first thing in the morning, then work their way back, it would be alot better.. The ONLY time I would ever go is on a half-price day.. That way it's only like 25 bucks. It pisses me off that they always stay right by the shoreline, I'd like them to venture little further offshore, find some better rockpiles..

Hi AbsolutelyPig,

Wow ...... quite a moniker or a cop ...... or maybe I'm dating myself. A most excellent detailing (as expected from someone who writes notes for the police report writers). Thanks .... basically, everything is in perspective.

Landing might not appreciate my (meddeling) comments but I'm thinking that the charter .... with the number of folks you had was soooooooooooooo low-balled in the first place that It's little wonder that they switched gears !! I assume that you had a galley guarrantee along with the 1500 (island chater often 2000~2500 up here in LA, week days, crappy season)which should have bumped it up to around 80 bucks a head which is still about only 3/5ths of what they might normally get. They also must have known that with a lot of newbie sorta folks, the board (cutting) money would not be as if regulars were on the boat or..... deadheads present to catch fish to make some money for the crew.

The turnaround you described may have left the skipper out of the zone and his game plan went to heck so I would bet the rest of the trip would be a wash even after you stopped. Good or bad attitude .... skippers often have a general plan to initiate once plan A and B doesn't develop..... if anywhere near fish.

I'm investing the time to write this as I'm hoping you'll give the salt another chance and ...... bring some of those nice Sculpin to your FIL. You might ought even hook up with some guys here to increase odds on a good trip. Many guys will fish a Captain with whom they know well ..... over and above a landing or even a specific boat. Good luck.

JapanRon

Yeah I appreciate the info. Like I said I don't do the salt too often and I'm not familiar with any places that charter boats out of the ocean. I tried looking at all the different ones and who was catching what..........but everyone seems to agree to disagree on all the places. I hear good comments and bad comments from every place. I say I am done with the ocean but I'm sure I'll be back. (Won't be out of Dana Point though) I think I'll wait a month and try it again. Maybe a month of warm weather and the bite will pick up.

I live in Redlands..........what harbor does everyone recommend me trying next? I don't like being on a boat too long.......12 hours is plenty. I would do a 1 dayer, or twilight.....whatever, just something that will catch me fish and maybe have a chance to pick up some DD's. Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutePig View Post
    Yeah I appreciate the info. Like I said I don't do the salt too often and I'm not familiar with any places that charter boats out of the ocean. I tried looking at all the different ones and who was catching what..........but everyone seems to agree to disagree on all the places. I hear good comments and bad comments from every place. I say I am done with the ocean but I'm sure I'll be back. (Won't be out of Dana Point though) I think I'll wait a month and try it again. Maybe a month of warm weather and the bite will pick up.

I live in Redlands..........what harbor does everyone recommend me trying next? I don't like being on a boat too long.......12 hours is plenty. I would do a 1 dayer, or twilight.....whatever, just something that will catch me fish and maybe have a chance to pick up some DD's. Thanks for the insight.
    Sorry to hear about the trip, hopefully your next salt trip will be a successful one.

Try out Redondo Sportfishing, which is now under great new management. The Tradition, the landing's 3/4 day boat fishes the coast and Catalina Island and is available for charter. The captain has years of experience in the wheelhouse and tries his hardest to put his anglers on the fish. This crew was what drew me and my dad to fishing Redondo in the first place, and they are excellent and try to make your time out on the water a great one.

PM sent!

Hi smokehound,

With some of the boats from landings down south up on Izors or even the 'Shoe' fishing for Sculpin (as I photographed in my last report) you know the catching must be pretty slim down there !! That's a looooooong way for Sculpin and 2 Salmon Grouper ...... huh Jimmy !?! :)

You're being generous but !! :) Half-price Day / 2 for 1 day !! Wrong ...... often .... I say only OFTEN to address the exceptions .... that's most often when the boat gets packed .... worse yet ....that's packed or loaded with a bunch of meat hogs who will do anything (including stealing fish) to get a bag of fish ......ME and my buddies been there and watched that .... more than we should have to at a number of different landings/boats !! Not any more !! :)

JapanRon
    Last edited by JapanRon; 06-05-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutePig View Post

Sorry to here about your poor trip. Fishing around Dana Point can be bad around this time of the year but I've had excellent fishing at Dana Point before. The water has been cold so the Calico Bass fishing has been really down which is staple fish for that area. Also the best type of fishng around there in June is Kelp Bed fishing for Calicos which is not easy for newbies. Next time you want to charter a 3/4 trip I would suggest a trip up North like Sea Landing or Ciscos. The Stardust does 3/4 Rock Fish trips which are usually a slayfests and as about as close to a guaranteed fish catching trip as possible.

Ocean fishing on party boats is all about timing and location. Local fishing really has been bad last year and so far this year. Next time you plan on going, ask on this board or PM me and I'll share what I think is the best option at that time.

try pierpoint landing, 22nd st and redondo. ive done very well in the past on some of the 3/4 day trips but i wont cattle boat it anymore, no fault to the crew but the customers on the boat, bunch of rude bastards that need to be tought a lesson, tried to give one guy a swimming lesson but the captian stoped me b4 he was completly overboard :).

Sorry to hear about the trip Occifer...
    Just 3 words.....San Diego Fishing!!!
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot Jimmy View Post
    Sorry to hear about the trip, hopefully your next salt trip will be a successful one.

Try out Redondo Sportfishing, which is now under great new management. The Tradition, the landing's 3/4 day boat fishes the coast and Catalina Island and is available for charter. The captain has years of experience in the wheelhouse and tries his hardest to put his anglers on the fish. This crew was what drew me and my dad to fishing Redondo in the first place, and they are excellent and try to make your time out on the water a great one.

PM sent!
    the traddy always does well!! I second!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12