Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: smoked salmon

Default smoked salmon

Just got a new smoker for my birthday! Looking for good smoking recipes for salmon. Anyone here have any? Thanks

The best wood to use is alder....you can get the chips at BBQs Galore. Soak them well before putting into the fire. I use a rub of brown sugar, salt and pepper. Not a lot of sugar, just enough for taste. You can go really complicated by brining the fish, but this method is quick and easy.

Cut your salmon in 1" strips....doesn't matter how long the strip is. Place on bamboo skewers. For the Brine:
    1 Gallon water, cup of salt, 2lb bag of brown sugar, bottle of maple syrup. Soak skewered strips for 24 hours. After 24 hours, place skewered, marinaded strips on rack. ( I made my rack using the oven shelves in a cardboard box inside) put newspaper on the bottom because the fish will drip as it dries. Let dry for about 24 hours....the strips will be translucent when dried enough. Cold or hot smoke the strips on skewers. I cold smoked mine for about 8 hours using apple and hickory. This recipe is called Indian Candy...more info and directions on youtube...look up indian candy....

I use Teraiki sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, a little hot sauce let filets soak overnight, take out the next morning, pat dry with paper kitchen towles, let sit for about an hour then throw on the smoker for about 5 hours, use Apple chips in ur smoker. Careful the neighbors will hover around your fence when they smell that smoke is comming from !