Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LA River

4 course? damn....

Quote Originally Posted by reservoir dog View Post
    Yup and that'll be my last resort...LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdD4xVKw5bI
    I guess this guy doesn't practice c&r

I've fished the River over a dozen times, both fly fishing and bait. Let me say first that it seems the carp fishing last year and so far this year has been poor. Just don't seem to be as plentiful as before. My best day was over 10 carps on the fly. Forget fishing during spawning (March - April/May), they're not interested in eating. Summer also brings out a lot of moss and water weeds. Lots of snags. I fish 2 main spots:

Not too far from Dodger Stadium, Meadowvale Ave which dead ends into the River. It is a narrow street, park on the street at the end near the opening to River. The area is cleaned up a little now since they put up a metal railing along the bike path. Walk onto the path and turn right. There are several deep pools around the water inlet. The banks are all concrete and sloping. You will need to sit on the slope. Look for the little square openings in the concrete. Sit behind the square and rest you feet against the front edge of the opening. I bring a old piece of carpet to sit on. This area is best for bait. Buy some corn tortillas from 99 cents store. Cut them into 1-1/2" squares, let dry and store for future fishing. The night before fishing, run some under a little water and then put them on a newspaper to absorb the excess moisture. Then put into plastic baggie. The consistency of the tortillas should almost be like leather firmness. Too mushy and they fall off the hook. C-rig works best. 8# - 10# test line, size 6 Owner mosquito hook, small swivel and a small sliding sinker or split shots. Hook on several pieces of tortilla, toss out and wait. Don't try to set the hook when you first see the rod tip twitch. You will know to set the hook when you see your line moving away. Be prepared for a lot of snags on the underwater concrete rocks.

The other popular spot is exit the North 5 FWY on Hyperion/Glendale Ave. Turn right going over the River, then a quick turn at the first opening to the right. Straight ahead to the opening to the River. Park on street. Go in and turn left. Past the overhead utility bridge and there will be a long deep pool area. Same bait method. You will also see some fly fishers here. This area has some level concrete which makes it possible to stand or bring a chair. Best to have a long handle net in this area as the concrete falls off a little to the water.

For both areas, my buddies always warn me about gang bangers and the homeless. I have never been hassled but be aware of your surroundings. Even with the freeway traffic in sight, it can be sort of isolated.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Fishnfun; 06-05-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnfun View Post
    I've fished the River over a dozen times, both fly fishing and bait. Let me say first that it seems the carp fishing the last year and so far this year, the has been has been poor. Just don't seem to be as plentiful as before. My best day was over 10 carps on the fly. Forget fishing during spawning (March - April), they're not interested in eating. Summer also bring out a lot of moss and water weeds. Lots of snags. I fish 2 main spots:

Not too far from Dodger Stadium, Meadowale Ave which dead ends into the River. It is a narrow street, park on the street at the end near the opening to River. The area is cleaned up a little now since they put up a metal railing along the bike path. Walk onto the path and turn right. There are several deep pools around the water inlet. The banks are all concrete and sloping. You will need to sit on the slope. Look for the little square openings in the concrete. Sit behind the square and rest you feet against the front side of the opening. I bring a old piece of carpet to sit on. This area is best for bait. Buy some corn tortillas from 99 cents store. Cut them into 1-1/2" squares, let dry and store for future fishing. The night before fishing, run some under a little water and then put them on a newspaper to absorb the excess moisture. Then put into plastic baggie. The consistency of the tortillas should almost be like leather firmness. Too mushy and they fall off the hook. C-rig works best. 8# - 10# test line, size 6 Owner mosquito hook, small swivel and a small sliding sinker or split shots. Hook on several pieces of tortilla, toss out and wait. Don't try to set the hook when you first see the rod tip twitch. You will know to set the hook when you see your line moving away. Be prepared for a lot of snags on the underwater concrete rocks.

The other popular spot is exit the North 5 FWY on Hyperion/Glendale Ave. Turn right going over the River, then a quick turn at the first opening to the right. Straight ahead to the opening to the River. Park on street. Go in and turn left. Past the overhead utility bridge and there will be a long deep pool area. Same bait method. You will also see some fly fishers here. This area has some level concrete which makes it possible to stand or bring a chair. Best to have a long handle net in this area as the concrete falls off a little to the water.

For both areas, my buddies always warn me about gang bangers and the homeless. I have never been hassled but be aware of your surroundings. Even with the freeway traffic in sight, it can be sort of isolated.

Good luck.
    This is some very generous advice. Awesome of you to share.

They did a annual river clean up at Willow St LB a couple weeks ago.

The spot is easy access check out the pic. I gunna check it out soon and see if they are there.
    If you go before sunset you can see them boil. I've seen jumpers get air while driving on the Willow bridge.
    It is a pretty cool spot, lots of ducks there.
    Check it out.
    DR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12