Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perris 5-27 Birthday Bass

Nose hook for open water and T-rig it when you have enough cover to be worried about snagging up or heavy weed/algae bloom. Palmar knot, make sure the loop always comes up under the hook. If it goes over instead of under, getting properly set hook is difficult. Once you tighten the knot down, bring the tag end back through the eye downwards. This keeps the hook standing upright, anything but a horizontal hook is no good.
    Fishing DS depends on how the fish want it. I usually start by letting it drop, then lift and fall the bait itself without moving the weight a couple times. I usually shake a DS back to me, giving it a couple drags. In deep water over structure, you can just throw it out and drag it behind the boat a bit. Sometimes the fish want you to throw out and just deadstick the bait for half a minute before moving it. Sometimes, if you want to cover water, bump up your weight and using a drag/hop retrieve. Using a bigger weight allows you get down faster and cover more water, whereas a ligther weight excels in shallower water or when you need to fish super slow with 4-6lb line

Tagg27- When the bass are in the shallows at Perris, in all the brush and weeds, I fly-line my plastic baits. You won't get strings of weeds like you do when you drop shot. You still need to hook them weedless, but don't use any sinker. I like throwing a green glitter Senko on a Gamakatsu EWG (Extra Wide Gap) 2/0 hook on 6 or 8 lb test line. Senkos are great because you can stay out away from the brush and cast these heavy worms way back in there, without scaring away the bass. You don't need to do anything, just slowly reel them back. Watch for your line to twitch or jump or start moving to the side, then set the hook.

Hi karyn....no weedless is good that's how I do it too....I was saying once you get your. Hook tied on you feed the tag end that you tie your weight on back through the eyelet of the hook so that your hook it pointing up.does that make sense?? Kinda hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
    Hi karyn....no weedless is good that's how I do it too....I was saying once you get your. Hook tied on you feed the tag end that you tie your weight on back through the eyelet of the hook so that your hook it pointing up.does that make sense?? Kinda hard to explain.
    Brad, you've done a great job explaining- Thanks for your time and your explanation, I think I get it. I will have to get out a hook and try it. I've become a junkie! Always trying to figure it out. I bought two books that are helping me out, but it doesn't have the "real" stuff you learn from experience. The more I go out, the more I learn : ) It's all good! Thanks again.

Dockboy - Thanks! Great info. I heard rigging the drop shot was just as important as how to fish it. I practiced setting it up at the house before I got to the water. I think I'm getting it.

Fishmounter - How long are the plastics your are flylining?

"Senkos"? I don't know, I think they are 6 inches.

Thanks fishmounter. I have a few bps gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. I pick some up.

Tagg27......Senkos are also made by BPS...they are called Stick-o-worms and you get twice the amount for almost half the price....I use them and they alway produce for me.

Thanks bassgrabber. good to know. Don't you hit perris on thursdays? Maybe I will see you out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12