Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: special thanks to s.w.a.t and surf posters.....

Default special thanks to s.w.a.t and surf posters.....

i just wanted to say thanks to those who posted about the surf fishing, mostly to s.w.a.t team...i"ve been a bay bass/ freash water Lmb fisher for as long as i can remember.....and since the bay bassin' hasen't picked up yet and the Lmb jus got over the spawn , i've been lookin for a new adventures........i did my homework wit "wingnut"...101 to hali surf fishing.....read all the posts.....n now to put it to the test........i got off work about 5pm.......and went straight to the first sport A... pick up a x-10 cuz there were no lc'z .....got to carlsbad beach to fish a 45min window befor night fall.....happy to say it was a awesome time ... first fish came after fishing about 20min in.....26in shovel nose.....for a 10min fight off 10lb line ....o0o0o man was it fun ..felt like a small yellowtail .no pic's sorry forgot the camra...second was a bump n miss.....last one was the best......got a small tap .....thought it was a small surf p........so the i stop it an waited......"nothing".....proceeded to reel up the slack when..."wham".....automatically pullin drag..........with great head shakes....o0oo0 man ....it has to be a hali i thought............after a 3min fight it got unbuttoned.....!!!....
    for some reason i wasen't even mad......for a 45 min window to fish , thats more than i could ask for ......will deff b comin back ....

1st welcome to FNn and great 1st report. Surf fishing can be very addicting. Love those LC's! They catch more then just Halibuts. Can't wait to read more post from ya.

-Rithy

thanks for the warm welcome......ya i deff have to pic up those LC's .....also a gps to start markin my fav spots ......really have to take the time n do my homework on low tides to c honey holes n try them out.....all n all great time , great fishinhg...

I'm still learning at hunting for my 1st San Diego legal halibut. Sometimes
    The hunt is more exciting then the actual "kill" I have to pick up some more LC's myself. Trust me, you can never have enough of 'em. I lost 6 in the first month I started surf fishing. Haha

On behalf of the S.W.A.T. Team let me be the first to welcome you to the board and to the "New" surf neighborhood !
    Those SNGF sure can pull like freight trains for sure.They are thick right now because they are in spawning mode.
    Your story about the whole transition to the surf kinda reminds me of my story also.Ya gotta love surf fishing....You never know what to expect at the other end of your line especially when tossing hardbaits. Everything loves them!
    Keep at it and poseidon will reward you for your efforts....Especially down south right now!
    When you do pick up your LC....Be sure to fish it slow to prevent alot of sideways roll which causes the hooks to wipe out the flashy finish on the sides and remember to NOT SWING on the hits. Alot of bumps will be structure and if you swing.....you will drive the hooks into the structure and lose your bait.With an LC....The fish more or less hook themselves as long as your hooks are sharp.
    Now.....Go stick yourself a big old Hali or WSB down there !

Good job out there 247!
    Welcome to the site, I look forward to more posts in the near future...
    Wasn't the feeling just awesome, not knowing what was on the other end of your line.
    That is a huge reason why I love surf fishing...
    If your looking for LC's, in the Oceanside are, try Anglers, over by the stripper club......leave it alone guys...
    Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

[Off Topic] where can I buy some LC's in the Oceanside area. I use to get mine from Sav-On Tackle when I lived in Cerritos. But now I'm in Camp Pendleton/Oceanside and need some new ones.

Welcome to the addiction. Great job in doing your homework and getting out there and making it happen. I predict a legal Halibut report coming from you very soon.

thanks again for the info in support...robert...ill make sure to check out the lc'z in o'side......bones, ur rite....i didnt even had time to swing.....wit the tide pullin in n out.....it was almost like circle hook fishing....i jus reel'd down n fish on!......im not to much of a person to burn in the baits.......i always like to do slow retrieves....i found that alot of my hits rather it be lake or ocean, they would sometimes hit it 5ft from me .....i think my biggest problem is always second guess.....wat bait to use , colors , depth , bigger sizes for more distance ,also the line...i mostly use izorline...but wanted to see if i could do a top shot of izor wit brid...ect.......i kno im jus starting but it never hurts to learn what you can to max the chances to catch fish, plus its easy to learn wen u love doing it ....sooner or later, i kno its all trial and error....jus cant wait to really give it a go wit all the info u guys help me wit....i only hope so wingnut.....thankz guys....keep those line tight..

on the hali i mean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast