Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs on boats!!!

I don't have a PFD for my lab, but he is very well behaved and sits right next to me when we are on plane. If he wants to stand in the wind, I'll hold his leash or push his butt down to sit. At Castaic, he'll jump and swim to shore when fishing the coves and banks if given the okay (Good boy haha) and will always stay in sight and return on call.

Every dog is different though. I let mine swim, but always monitored like a child. It's all about controlling the pup and keeping everyone safe. Take baby steps.

My pup is well behaved on and off the leash as well as potty trained. To get him on the boat I started with the letting him stick his head out of the car window. Then sit in the truck bed. Then the Lagoon and finally Upper Castaic. During the training, the leash was always on the collar. In the truck bed, ratchet straps secured the leash. On the boat the leash was always on when on the move.

Hope this helps. It's always cool having a pup on board.

ProTip: Keep grocery bags (for accidents), food, water, and a chew/ rawhide/ tennis ball.

My lab is always by side with everything else I do so her recall is impecable and she will sit and stay on the boat I'm sure. Is the dog allowed to jump off in coves @ Castaic? My dog is going to be the happiest damn thing you've ever seen! She will catch on to how it works in NO time and what the rules are to the game. Everything in her life is a game and I can see this being her favorite!

The PFD isn't for regular swimming. It's really in case of a boating accident. She can't exactly run up front and grab one herself and take care of herself. She's a good swimmer, but upper castaic is huge.

I have a 14 ft aluminum that I was using for fishing and I was nervous about bringin her on that because it's small and easy to fall of or jump off. I just bought a 19' runabout so now it will be easier to teach her what to do and what is okay.

I am freakin stoked to have a fishing partner who's never too busy, never has to ask his wife for permission, and won't outfish me and make me look like a fool.

The Pacific Ocean is bigger and Dog Friendly.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    The Pacific Ocean is bigger and Dog Friendly.
    DR
    What he said...

...and, at least my dogs case, they love the taste of the fish...

Great pics!!!

i have been taking my dogs to silverwood to teach them to ride my boats for the last 10 years, not once have they said anything including the time the stopped u to check reg and all that

I think he's referring to rental boats people.... Of course you can bring your dog on your own boat in most lakes... The only rental boats I've heard of being ok with dogs is BBL. We rented a pontoon and took our dog out.

Chris, that was where we were going to go, but my wife called to see if dogs are allowed, and they told her not on the boats, and must be on a 6 ft leash....screw it I guess it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    Trying to go camping/boating/fishing and not in that order, but want to take my dog. I have called Silverwood, and Perris and they don't allow dogs on the boats. I guess it's cool if we pee in the pool, but not the dogs..I get it, I get it.....

Anyhow, does anyone know where I could camp and have the dog on the boat, I know you can take the dog on the boat in Castaic, but I am all Castaic out...thanks for you help....
    Have seen dogs on boats out there for years at Perris..
    Somebody must not be checking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12