Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Perris - HORRIBLE FISHING CONDITIONS!

I'd like to note..
    I have been seeing an excessive amount of dead bluegill on the shore already before the bluestone.
    about 4 dead floater lmb last time too. Before the bluestone.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I'd like to note..
    I have been seeing an excessive amount of dead bluegill on the shore already before the bluestone.
    about 4 dead floater lmb last time too. Before the bluestone.
    Yes true and I did see a couple Bg no bass in sight

I thought the bite has been good. I go out there on my boat on Thursdays and we have been catching bass. You just need to now where to look. The foot access shore lines will be tough because of the fishing pressure. Whenever they BLUESTONE aka Copper Sulfate Perris, it takes off with spinner baits. Fish them right in the middle of all the muck and you will catch. I will be there on Thursday...wish me luck. By the way....we had a double whammy on Thursday!! Here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double whammy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	30702  

The smaller fish are affected by bluestone (copper III sulfate) because it highly toxic to fish at concentrated levels. The larger fish can often live through a relatively heavy dose of bluestone, because the LD50 for the toxins is higher as size increases. In the right amounts it can be successfully sued to control algae outbreaks, and it doesn't take much to do this. Water departments seem to believe that dumping heavy amounts in will be more effective, but in reality a lighter, more spread out and less locally concentrated application would probably have the same results for limiting algae production.
    As TJ mentioned, its post spawn. Some fish are still up shallow, but the majority are moving out. Shad season is about here, so chances are the larger concentrations of fish will follow the shad offshore. Not to mention, the immediate post-spawn bite can be hard to work from shore, because fish often move into that 20-30' range after spawning in our local reservoirs. Bluegill are mid way through spawning also, and they are far less hardy in spawning rigors. Its not uncommon to see dead 'gills during their spawning period, because they have less ability to survive a tough spawn experience.

does anyone know if they close the lake durring the blue stone?

They close it for that day or for a certain amount of hours I think.

It varies, as with everything else there.
    Sometimes they close it first half. Sometimes they only allow you to shore fish. Other times they only allow you to tube/boat certain areas.

I been out there tubing the east side once while he freakin' helicopter was dumping and took pictures/reported on it. lol

Thought I saw it would be closed from 8-12 w/ only the marina open to fish, then completely open after 12. Lake Perris will be temporarily closed for fishing, swimming, and boating on Tuesday May 24th, 2011 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. The lake is being treated with copper sulfate to reduce algae and improve water quality.

The Marina cove and the launch ramp cove are the only locations that you can fish and boat in. At 12:00 PM the lake will be open with no restrictions. Please call 951-940-5600 if you have any questions.
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...toned-May-24th

The conditions looked great at the beginning of the day, overcast and glassy water. But after the fog burned off, there was no fish even near the shoreline. Some "bait n' wait' fishermen were catching only bluegill and I only saw or heard of one Bass being caught all day.

I was on perris on Sat. May 21. Only caught 1 small red ear next to the island.... didn't see anyone else catch a thing .

Parked the boat at the marina at noon to fill up on cold drinks and saw one guy catch 2 baby trout...in a sea of humanity.

Decided to make a move to the cove next to Inlet Pump....aka Bernisconni Beach? Wide open on the Bluegills. Even the Oriental Dudes from shore were catching them. Used red worms at the start.....but when they started boiling... we switched over to small white minijigs and dropshot berkley power minnows. We even caught 2 bass!!! Great fun on super Ultralight rods!! Sorry no pics.... I usually dont bring a camera on gill fishing trips.

With the water being a bit higher this year, there seems to be less shore access on the inlet side of the lake.
    Last edited by khanhqpham; 05-26-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Well, that is the last time I am going to Perris without a boat. I will wait hot summer to fish the dam with YUM Dingers, they are money.

Bent Rods For Life,
    Rapala17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast