Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Green Valley Lake 5/20

Default Green Valley Lake 5/20

My buddy and I went to opening day at GVL. Drove up the mountain to find out that they were stocking the lake that afternoon. (Very disappointing) They estimated the truck to come between 12 to 2 pm. It finally arrived at 3:45. They dumped the trout near the boat dock and none of them were ready to bite. Many looked disoriented and weathered from their journey. Not even the boaters who surrounded the area got a whiff. So, I assume Sat. and Sun. should have been perfect to nail a few.

We fished all day near the dam and caught one mini holdover. Two guys next to us caught 3 DFG stockers (small) and one guy who was right next to the damn caught 12 for the day. He was catching and releasing. He lost a a 5lber and pulled in a 2lber so he at least got a decent bendo. He caught his on power worms and the big ones on nightcrawlers - Floating them under a bobber. One other guy who was on the opposite side of the dam had 3 and one of them was a nicle 4lber. If you could set yourself right next to the damn, you had a chance to nail a few of those holdovers.

Unfortunately, it was a long and expensive drive (gas $$), especially with the highway 18 detour. I am not sure if it will be worth it again. I asked the lady about the stocking schedule and she told me they didn't have any because the board now dictates when they put the fish in so you just have to keep checking their website. Anyways, one more interesting observation. I was so surprised to see how small the stocking truck from Calaveras Trout farm was. I wonder how many were put in since they had to stop at Lake Gregory and unload some there first. Anyway I am interested to see if there will be any reports on GVL and find out if you had better luck than we did.

Many bendos....rot8

Quote Originally Posted by Rot8 View Post
    My buddy and I went to opening day at GVL. Drove up the mountain to find out that they were stocking the lake that afternoon. (Very disappointing) They estimated the truck to come between 12 to 2 pm. It finally arrived at 3:45. They dumped the trout near the boat dock and none of them were ready to bite. Many looked disoriented and weathered from their journey. Not even the boaters who surrounded the area got a whiff. So, I assume Sat. and Sun. should have been perfect to nail a few.

We fished all day near the dam and caught one mini holdover. Two guys next to us caught 3 DFG stockers (small) and one guy who was right next to the damn caught 12 for the day. He was catching and releasing. He lost a a 5lber and pulled in a 2lber so he at least got a decent bendo. He caught his on power worms and the big ones on nightcrawlers - Floating them under a bobber. One other guy who was on the opposite side of the dam had 3 and one of them was a nicle 4lber. If you could set yourself right next to the damn, you had a chance to nail a few of those holdovers.

Unfortunately, it was a long and expensive drive (gas $$), especially with the highway 18 detour. I am not sure if it will be worth it again. I asked the lady about the stocking schedule and she told me they didn't have any because the board now dictates when they put the fish in so you just have to keep checking their website. Anyways, one more interesting observation. I was so surprised to see how small the stocking truck from Calaveras Trout farm was. I wonder how many were put in since they had to stop at Lake Gregory and unload some there first. Anyway I am interested to see if there will be any reports on GVL and find out if you had better luck than we did.

Many bendos....rot8
    If they stocked Gregory, none were being caught. We fished it Saturday and it was slow. I also know when I called up there to Gregory on Friday, they said they weren't stocking this week.

Jenks is doing good if you have a tube right now , my neighbor is killin em up there on jigs .

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    If they stocked Gregory, none were being caught. We fished it Saturday and it was slow. I also know when I called up there to Gregory on Friday, they said they weren't stocking this week.
    Interesting. The man who was runs GVL told me that the Calaveras Truck was stopping by Lake Gregory on the way. What you are telling me makes more sense since the stocking truck didn't seem big enough to stock two lakes. At least I know it wasn't any better at Gregory.

That sucks. You would think if a lake was having a grand opening everything would be set and ready to go, especially the fish!. Hope the stocking schedule gets straighten out because Green valley is my favorite so cal lake. Maybe that had to do with the detour, gas prices, ect. Can't run a business if its in the red.

P.S. I have seen the calaveras truck and I thought it was rather smaller. Looks like the $19.99 uhaul truck. But they use it to stock 4 county lakes.

Whats up guys, I fished Green valley on the 21st and it was slow to say the least, I was fishing on the opposite side by the bubbler. I managed 4 small DFG dinks and 8 crappie. It was way slower than any other time i have fished that lake but at least i had something to pull on. ROT8 I know what you mean the 330 being closed and gas prices really takes a toll! the fish still seemed a little out of place on sat and really didnt want to bite, there were some big ones in there that i saw but all free swimmers no schools. I still love this lake and the staff is really nice I will be back up there this week, hopefully the fish will start biting. I missed 2 big(er) ones one on a yellow mini jig right at the shore and another on Garlic powerbait, I was helping a troop of boy scouts fish and was not paying attention, but I know they are out there. Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by loknload247 View Post
    Whats up guys, I fished Green valley on the 21st and it was slow to say the least, I was fishing on the opposite side by the bubbler. I managed 4 small DFG dinks and 8 crappie. It was way slower than any other time i have fished that lake but at least i had something to pull on. ROT8 I know what you mean the 330 being closed and gas prices really takes a toll! the fish still seemed a little out of place on sat and really didnt want to bite, there were some big ones in there that i saw but all free swimmers no schools. I still love this lake and the staff is really nice I will be back up there this week, hopefully the fish will start biting. I missed 2 big(er) ones one on a yellow mini jig right at the shore and another on Garlic powerbait, I was helping a troop of boy scouts fish and was not paying attention, but I know they are out there. Tight lines!
    Glad you had more action that I did. It was really disappointing. The way those trout came out of the truck, it doesn't surprise me that it make take a little longer for them to acclimate. They had to revive a few from shore and use oars to point some in the right direction because they were so dazed. Hopefully it will pick up. It is a beautiful place and the people are nice but you have to catch a few fish to make it worth it. Keep those reports coming. It probably will determine if I go back or not. The gas money is a killer.