Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Snap!

Excellent first rod! Most people's first sticks (mine included) come out looking distinctively homebuilt, yours looks like it was wrapped with 3 or 4 rods under your belt. Congrats!

I dislike drilling a trigger hook keeper because I know I will kill my hand with it. I know how I roll up and get all excited and don't think. Chances are I'll end up with a hook point or three buried in my hand if I drilled a trigger keeper, so I'm content with my standard ones above the grip lol.

Did you use a spatula for finish app? I have had "meh" results from a spatula, but very good results using short, stiff bristle brushes.

I used the cheapass brushes that came with the flex coat light build kit.
    Here's high res pics. Doghairs and all.
    I think I'm ready for A sized thread.

Since my trigger alread contains a slot for a hook, no need to drill.

The front "nub" foregrip is also recessed and hooded over the reel seat for extra strength.

I even used two different sized chainsaw files and a bastard file to perfect the guides to the curve of the blank and remove the sharp stuff while slanting the foot angle for easier thread wrapping. should help keep the rod from breaking any time soon due to sharp guide feet and the guides should stay seated firmly.

This is a quality rod. Cast is as far or farther than my last swimbait rod.
    the next one I will probably spiral wrap. The books say they are better in just about every respect than normal oriented guides. There's no reason not to try it! You can even use less guides for further casting.

Looks like the finish is scratched in this pic for some reason but I think it's just dirt or flash from the camera.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Looks like your finish came on nice and level. That tends to be the hardest part for beginners.
    If I could recommend anything, it would be to keep the finish closer to the ends of the wraps.
    To get them straight, I'll keep my hand rested on a book so that it doesn't shake. Also, if anything
    goes wrong with the finish like I slip my hand or something, DNA takes care of it real quick.

You're a real crafty guy Casey. I'm exciting to see what you'll be coming up with in the near future.
    The craft needs people like you. Best of luck in this addiction my friend.

I'm noticing the same materials they use to build these rods is going to work excellent for coating my wooden home made baits too! This is going to be great.
    I'll have to make a couple trout plugs. I have had some ideas gathered for a while. I need a bandsaw or scroll saw to shape some wood. I got sick of hand carving it quick for the old Robomouse lure.

TJ can build/make anything, the guy is genuinely amazing and talented. Id like to see a suicide wrapped rod TJ, im going to be needing a rod here in a few months for calicos, sandbass and whatever else eats swimbaits. I was thinking 8' or 8'6" H power med action, something with backbone but semi parabolic just incase i hook a yellow or WSB on the boat. I personaly have never seen a suicide wraped jig stick out on the ocean. Let me know what you think and what it would cost with EVA split grips with no fore grip and full TI guides.

I had the opportunity to fish that rod on sunday. It is amazingly light and balanced for a swimbait rod. Looks better than many $300 rods too. Tj outdid himself on this one. Excellent build for a first try.
    Last edited by Skyler; 05-31-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Looking good! I find it impossible to avoid hair, dust or any other contaminates from getting into the epoxy. Some good lighting and pair of tweezers helps remove it pretty quickly though.

BTW i'm looking at purchasing a float tube. Got a few quick questions for ya since you've been through every mode of floatation in the lake. PM incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    TJ can build/make anything, the guy is genuinely amazing and talented. Id like to see a suicide wrapped rod TJ, im going to be needing a rod here in a few months for calicos, sandbass and whatever else eats swimbaits. I was thinking 8' or 8'6" H power med action, something with backbone but semi parabolic just incase i hook a yellow or WSB on the boat. I personaly have never seen a suicide wraped jig stick out on the ocean. Let me know what you think and what it would cost with EVA split grips with no fore grip and full TI guides.
    I could build a rod for the cost of parts +- $50 for my labor.
    Wrapping those threads can be a PITA... is he only reason I would charge.
    Cost of parts would include epoxy etc.

By the time you bought me all the parts to use, you'd probably just want to wrap it yourself and save $50 lol.
    I'd do it anyways for experience.

If anyone seriously wanted me to wrap something I suppose I would but I'm definitely far from professional at this.
    Namely, guide placement can be tricky until I get more placement tools. I seem to have lucked out and nailed the guide placement on the first one.

I do however want to try spiral wrap action on day.
    I want to wrap twenty more rods right now but I don't have the cheese to do it.
    I think I only paid about $175-$200 in parts for my Monster Striper Stick I made in this thread.
    About what you'd expect to pay for a name brand company to charge to wrap you a rod but with a hand wrapped custom quality touch. I use a bit more guide epoxy than shimano so my rods won't crack at the feet later. Doesn't seem to effect weight all the much. My Sh*t will be built ford tough.

I do want to focus on getting a saw however so I can make some baits to spread around. Who's got a saw I can cut up some trouts and mouse blanks with.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-01-2011 at 04:59 PM.

I have a cut-off saw you can borrow. I can bring it over tomorrow.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456