Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap!

DAMN... that sucks.. I would have flipped out!

From what I remember you can wrap by hand and complete a rod. But wouldn't mind buying a rod wrapper.
    That way I can make baits and clamp them in the wrapper to spin and dry the epoxy coats too.
    I have made a few baits in my time that I may want to start making again one day.
    spinning epoxy by hand was no fun.

you know what I did particularly like my old Loomis blanks.
    I still have a 6' GL2 casting medium light that rocks with the best of them.
    8lbers on modified crankbaits no problem.

If I start wrapping, I can salvage blanks like this too from my old rods and rewrap them.

What really sucks is the new loomis with split grip is $500. C'mon man.. really?
    Yeah Loomis charges over the top for their NRX series. Great rods, really light weight, but even with half the guides being RECs and the split reel seat with split cork, it ain't worth $500. I really like Dobyns, and just got my college team sponsored by them, so that's what I'll be buying for my new setups in the future. I like the idea of $60 over the counter, no questions asked new rod warranty.

You can get a wrapping station and separare drying setup for under $100. Mine is a basic 3 part wrapper that costs about $50, my dryer is a little motor deal from Pac Bay that is a medium RPM motor with a adjustable clutch and a roller stand.

What you will find with old Loomis blanks from their lower end (GL2, Mossyback, DS, CB, Topwater series) is their blank paint adds weight. I used RECs and no paint on my DS 820, with a split grip. It feels much faster than the same rod from the factory, because the Alconites and blank paint they use make it a total noodle stick. With RECs, my balance point is lighter and the rod just feels more crisp. But old school Loomis rods rock, the old GL2 and IMX series are still some of the best IMO
    Last edited by dockboy; 05-21-2011 at 04:11 PM.

I would hate,hate,hate for that to happen while fighting a big fish. That sucks. I own a few Wal-Mart specials myself. They catch just as many fish as my higher end rods.

Hey TJ, glad you're taking on the endeavor. I only have a couple rods now that aren't wrapped by me.
    You'll do fine with the basic hand wrapper, etc. Here are some tips to keep you ahead of the curve.
    Diamond II rod finish and Metallic thread from Bullard Industries are primo.
    Though many like Gudebrod, try to stay away from Gudebrod at all costs.
    I've done well with Batson blanks for value, Phenix for performance, and North Fork Composites for insanity.
    You NEED a 6-18 RPM motor for finishing. I preer something closer to 18.
    Bright, open spaces are golden. I hate cramped areas.

I you ever need any assistance, don't hesitate to PM me brother.

Here's evidence not to support micro guide tips.
    Grooves in the material before the actual tip guide!
    Ouch! Can't be good for the line.
    I wouldn't buy high end tournament rods for fishing tournaments now if you paid me because you can't trust the skimpy materials they are made from. I think boating the fish is half the point. lol

I know for a fact I can wrap a better rod and I haven't even done it before.

sorry bad pics, will get better later all I have is the phone right now.
    Also photobucket down? have to use site uploader.

Thanks for the tips Kev and everyone else. all appreciated.
    I'm definitely doing this. I'll sell my swimbait rod last so I can fish it while I rewrap everything else (namely a siwmbait rod first to accommodate)
    I'll have a few nice rods going up for sale, cheap, any time now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	30686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	30687  
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
    I would hate,hate,hate for that to happen while fighting a big fish. That sucks. I own a few Wal-Mart specials myself. They catch just as many fish as my higher end rods.
    I had a bass at least 5lbs swipe at that 5: la slider swimbait you see hanging from the tip just minute before the snap. If I would have hooked it, you know exactly what would have happened. I would be on my *** with a busted rod. lol

I really really want to be able to lathe cork handles.
    that's the reason I think I might as well go all the way with "the machine".
    Go big or go home.

I have a mini lathe but it's actually too small to handle cork handles. tiny sucker.

I've been using a corded drill for my cork and EVA grips. Don't want to be sanding where I'm finishing.
    Good cork is hard to find, and expensive. Either way, I prefer EVA.
    Hey, take a look at the Rainshadow ISWB blanks for the TT and LP. Sick blanks. FIsh the 945 for anything from
    LMB to YFT.

How do you shape EVA?
    Heard nothing but good things about rainshadow blanks.
    I need to pick up all my building stuff locally so I can see what's going on.
    Some of my rods for sale in the classified.

From what I've heard, the new high end EVA shapes like cork. The best place locally for rod components is C&M Custom Tackle in San Dimas, they also are the most consistent place for Rainshadow blanks. I know a good chunk of the shops like Squidco and The Longfin carry blanks, but its typically saltwater oriented. As has been said, a lot of guys use their drills as cork lathes.

I personally prefer cork, but its all preference. I also don't get too bugged out about pitting, so I use relatively high grade cork. If I was building a $1000 fly rod setup, I'd be damn sure to use the highest Flor grade I could get. I wrap my rods to fish and expect them to take abuse, so a little lower grade cork doesn't bother me. Same with guides, I rarely put more than trim wraps, if even that. I like simple, functional sticks. You can do amazing things with rods, take a look at the Rod Builder.com forums for that. I also have never had many issues with my factory rods, and only go custom when I can't find what I need with a factory warranty.

Just a heads up, if you are ever near LB/HB area Performance Tackle has some old GUSA blanks on clearance, excellent blanks for the money. Couple of 6'6" and 7' in 3 and 4 powers, nice spin jig and plastics blanks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast