Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap!

Default Snap!

Ouch.
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen on the cast.
    Bait was under rod rating.. 1/2oz jighead and maybe 1/4-1/2oz body. rod was rated 1.5oz's. I owned it 1 month or so.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-20-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Cool pic,don't remember seeing one like that,hope it's a rod thats backed up with a replacement!

Carrot Stix.

I'm selling all my rods.
    Going to start wrapping my own.
    Only way I'll be happy.
    I'll get good known blanks and use as little materials as possible and make sick rods.

When it breaks, I'll blame me, and repair it myself.

When you have to have a rod replaced, you have to pay for shipping.
    If you want a guarantee it even makes it to Carrot Stix (or they don't scam you and say they didn't get it...) you need insurance too. Then you need to pay to actually have the rod replaced. I think I saw it was something from $25 to $40. (likely between there).

So $40 later you have paid $140 for a $99 rod.. when you've owned it one month and now it will be "taken away" for a month as well while they send you a new one that you won't have confidence in.

Even when Loomis sends you a replacement rod you get one with huge cork holes in the handle that have been filled up. (refurb)
    Shimano uses so little flexcoat on their guides or something that it cracks no problem and sounds like a bedspring when you fish with it. Had this with several rods now from them.

I have freakin $13 rods (admit I got it on sale) from walmart that work better than these mid range expensive rods. those are the ones I will keep and use while I sell off the others and use the money to buy wrapping equipment.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-20-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Ah don't feel bad. I broke my favorite Loomis yesterday. Good night sweet fish slayer of 4 years.

Too bad Loomis doesn't make blanks anymore. I have a DS820 and CB845 that I wrapped, incredible and by the time I was done I was under retail for a factory stick. I hate what Shimano did with Loomis. Took a good warranty program and killed it, took one of the best custom blank lineups for bass fishing and killed it.
    The North Fork Composites blanks are from Gary and are fairly similiar to old Mag bass type actions. Phenix blanks are a decent price, Batson and its brands like Rainshadow are excellent blanks, along with some other lesser known brands. If you like fishing swimbaits I suggest you check out the Rainshadow 967. Its a composite blanks, but light and a good tip to it. You could throw everything from a 3/4oz Big Hammer to a 7" TT on that blank, and it keeps them buttoned once they hit too.

Are the Carrots Graphite ? I've seen a couple break.
    Stick with fiberglass, stronger ?
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I sell off the others and use the money to buy rapping equipment.

Yah, whatever dude.
    DR

lol I deserved that one..

Yeah, first rod I wrap will be a swimbait rod.. after that, a medium heavy or heavy jig/c-rig/c-bait rod.

From what I remember you can wrap by hand and complete a rod. But wouldn't mind buying a rod wrapper.
    That way I can make baits and clamp them in the wrapper to spin and dry the epoxy coats too.
    I have made a few baits in my time that I may want to start making again one day.
    spinning epoxy by hand was no fun.

you know what I did particularly like my old Loomis blanks.
    I still have a 6' GL2 casting medium light that rocks with the best of them.
    8lbers on modified crankbaits no problem.

If I start wrapping, I can salvage blanks like this too from my old rods and rewrap them.

What really sucks is the new loomis with split grip is $500. C'mon man.. really?
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-21-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Not too long ago, I gave up on mid price to $$$ rods ... broken tips, guides cracking, and too many blanks that just didn't live up to my amount of use. Don't have time to wrap my own, but I seek out old Kencors that I know will last, and buy ugly sticks for durability in the surf and on the boat. For local park action, I use Wal-Mart or local store cheapies that suit my needs quite well. I fish 3-5 days a week year round, both on my boat and local parks/ lakes. Save yourself some headaches and money ... you don't need those $$$ rods unless you're a PRO.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast