Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perris Lake Thursday 5/19

Fishbreath... My mistake. You are correct. Can't use them for bait. Cool looking little fish though. I wonder where you can get mudsuckers? All the bait shops used to sell them. I even caught some nice Spotted Bass at Perris with them. Waterdogs too. Another great big bass bait.

You find longjaw mudsuckers in estuaries, as their name suggests, they prefer a soft muddy bottom.

Lol that just made me picture girls mud wrestling now..

The sculpins at BBL and Perris are mottled sculpins, common in the colorado river.

[QUOTE=smokehound;548493]You find longjaw mudsuckers in estuaries, as their name suggests, they prefer a soft muddy bottom.

Lol that just made me picture girls mud wrestling now..

The sculpins at BBL and Perris are mottled sculpins, common in the colorado river.[/QUOTE

What is BBL?

BBL is Big Bear Lake. There are huge numbers of Mottled Sculpins in there, illegal to use for bait but I saw a guy catch a good size Bass on one there a few years ago. I have caught them occasionally at Perris over the years, but only one or two per day, not five. They are bottom feeders, so I don't think they would bite a bait suspended above the bottom.

The fishing in the marina sounds similar to how it's been the past couple of weeks. There have been lots of small Bluegills but few bigger ones, no Redears, but surprising numbers of Trout and Crappies (decent numbers at least) plus a few Bass.

Silverwood lake has them as well I've seen them when I was moving rocks last year in the water and also caught a striper on chovie and it had one in it's mouth

Lmb will snack on them too for sure

me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    The fish in your avatar photo is looking at me.

Most freshwater fish snack on sculpins, but prefer the 2-3" sizes. In freestone trout streams, they are a major source of trophy trout diets, hence the reason for the success of patterns like the Muddler. I can't imagine a bass wouldn't eat one, seeing as they aren't incredibly strong swimmers and really inhabit the same habitat as crawdads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12