Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polarized glasses

You go cheap and it can be damaging to your eye sight.

Cheaper lenses use inferior plastics, which distort your line of sight. When this happens, your eye muscles are stressing to refocus constantly, which leads to headaches, blurred vision, and can even lead to permanent damage.

As I've said before, I can't count the number of times guys have $1200 bass combos, and spent $24 for their polarized glasses at the Walmart bin.

You have only one set of eyes. Think of a purchase of polarized glasses as a pretty wise investment.

Now, specifically, Oakley or nothing for me. I could go on about the quality of their lenses, but the brand speaks for itself.

Here here to that! My kids have glasses that worth at least $30 with proper UV protection. Young eyes are more susceptible to higher damages. Until they can keep their glasses in good conditions for longer usages, I'll give them better pairs. For adults, always protect your eyes now, or you'll be as blind as a bat when you're 50..if you're lucky to live that long

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    Hm..don't know about the polarized glasses..I wear Oakley brand for my field of work, and I'm always out and about in the deserts, toss in with snowboarding, ocean expeditions, and mountain trekking. Polarized lens is a waste of money. Seriously. If you want a proper good pair of glasses, buy a nice pair of glasses that has both UVA-UVB protection, AND that covers your entire eye socket areas to prevent upper light entry (unless you wear a hat all the time). Wearing polarized lens over long period of time will hurt you more than help you, since the polarized lens simply open your retina to be opened wider due to the minimal light allotment coming through the vertical pattern design for the glasses. Lens blocking 50% to 65% of the light is the perfect level for any environment. Oakley has the M-Frame series with good exchangeable lenses that will accommodate your needs. Go to the local Oakley stores to size your face to the lens first before buying online.
    are you being serious? or did you just pull that out of your *****... I would love to see some evidence that polarized lenses are physically harmful to your eyes.

just fyi any lens that is not optically correct, which basically means any lens that is not made by oakley will be manufactured with distortion and clarity inhibiting lens pollutants and that is what is really bad for your eyes. Looking through lenses that are distorted is what will cause eye strain and fatigue.

Not to mention Cheap lenses DO NOT protect against all UV lights.

Oakleys lens material plutonite protects 100% against UVA, UVB and UVC light even their clear lenses!

I wish I pull that out of my rear end. I wear glasses since I was 10. Protecting my eyes, as well as my family due to near-sighted genes being passed down for the past down for the past 9 generations is crucial, with the UV increased for the past 3 decades. My eyes were stabled, and gotten worst because my eyes are sensitive to light, and wearing the so-called polarized and darker lens. I have 4 optometrists that I go to yearly for contact lenses, regular glasses, and sportwears advices. All confirmed the same degradation and dark/polarized lens wear. The so called "plutonite" is just another company gimmick. Unless there's a MSDS and EPA subjected study to the material used ("plutonite") and confirmed that in combination with polarized pattern protect your eyes for prolong wear, I'm in no way vouch for the company's commercial gimmick.

I can say that true high end lens from good companies like Oakley will protect your eyes from UVA, UVB, and UVC (a new concern), but to toss the more expensive polarized pattern to charge consumers for a company commercial gimmicks, I simply cannot promote such useless spending. Before I purchase any protective equipment, I research things very closely, both in the consumer's feedbacks and testing results from 3rd parties..not just by some words of mouth.

Just to let you know, i own a series of lens from Oakley, with proper sound judgment and reasoning before purchasing, from the clear white/yellow to the darker lens, ranging from doing repair works in my labs/garages to field works (mountain tops to desert lands) and sports (cycling, swimming, snowboarding, fishing, and underwater). Since I'm a four-eyes, trust me, I'm very very meticulous to my vision wears. Hope that clears things up.

Quote Originally Posted by i feed fish View Post
    are you being serious? or did you just pull that out of your *****... I would love to see some evidence that polarized lenses are physically harmful to your eyes.

just fyi any lens that is not optically correct, which basically means any lens that is not made by oakley will be manufactured with distortion and clarity inhibiting lens pollutants and that is what is really bad for your eyes. Looking through lenses that are distorted is what will cause eye strain and fatigue.

Not to mention Cheap lenses DO NOT protect against all UV lights.

Oakleys lens material plutonite protects 100% against UVA, UVB and UVC light even their clear lenses!

I wish I pull that out of my rear end. I wear glasses since I was 10. Protecting my eyes, as well as my family due to near-sighted genes being passed down for the past down for the past 9 generations is crucial, with the UV increased for the past 3 decades. My eyes were stabled, and gotten worst because my eyes are sensitive to light, and wearing the so-called polarized and darker lens. I have 4 optometrists that I go to yearly for contact lenses, regular glasses, and sportwears advices. All confirmed the same degradation and dark/polarized lens wear. The so called "plutonite" is just another company gimmick. Unless there's a MSDS and EPA subjected study to the material used ("plutonite") and confirmed that in combination with polarized pattern protect your eyes for prolong wear, I'm in no way vouch for the company's commercial gimmick.

I can say that true high end lens from good companies like Oakley will protect your eyes from UVA, UVB, and UVC (a new concern), but to toss the more expensive polarized pattern to charge consumers for a company commercial gimmicks, I simply cannot promote such useless spending. Before I purchase any protective equipment, I research things very closely, both in the consumer's feedbacks and testing results from 3rd parties..not just by some words of mouth.

Just to let you know, i own a series of lens from Oakley, with proper sound judgment and reasoning before purchasing, from the clear white/yellow to the darker lens, ranging from doing repair works in my labs/garages to field works (mountain tops to desert lands) and sports (cycling, swimming, snowboarding, fishing, and underwater). Since I'm a four-eyes, trust me, I'm very very meticulous to my vision wears. Hope that clears things up.
    you sound smart enough to trust.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

From the American Optometric Association:

http://www.aoa.org/documents/Sunglas...gGuide0810.pdf

"Sunglass Options

You don’t need a lot of sunglass extras. But, there are some extras that are worth the added protection.

Polarized Lenses

Polarized lenses effectively combat reflected glare. They can provide added comfort and better vision for those who do a lot of driving or boating. For certain sports such as golf, polarization has the potential to cause a loss of visual information that may reduce performance. Polarization may not be the best choice for all situations, and should not be used for certain activities such as piloting an airplane."

also

"Price is no gauge of UV protection or of lens quality. Studies have found that some higher-priced sunglasses have poor quality lenses or inadequate UV protection, while some relatively inexpensive sunglasses are quite good in both categories."

I just stick to my Oakley Flak Jacket's. I'm 38 and I don't wear eyeglasses...and I hope to keep it that way for as long as I can...

Thanks for the vote of encouragement. But by no mean I'm smarter than any other. Just educated with plenty of book-smart, and still learning, reinforced with enough personal experience to rely upon. This is why I lean on to you guys for more information input to expand my knowledge, and filter out things that are concrete facts vs opinions. This is why I love to follow the posts of those who have true expertise knowledge, and you're one of the many fish-o-haulic. Not book smart, but personal wisdom and knowledge.

The interchangeable Oakley lenses are a god send, especially if you're very rough with your gear like I am, or have a 1 year old boxer that loves to eat anything in site.

With other glasses, you mess up the lens or frame, and you're out the entire pair.

With my Oakleys, if my boxer decides to digest a lens, I don't have to buy a completely new pair.

So basically your are just speculating all of this? trust me plutonite lenses are not a gimmick. I think the fact oakley is the only sun glass manufacturer in the world to have ANSI certification should be proof enough to the qualit. Not sure if you are aware of this or not but you eyesight will more than likely degrade over time regardless of whether or not you wear sunglasses and I can assure you wearing oakley polarized lenses will not speed up the degradation of your eyesight. Wearing low quality lenses that are optically distorted could very well cause degradation and fatigue in your eyesight but thankfully that is not an issue with oakley lenses

Quote Originally Posted by i feed fish View Post
    So basically your are just speculating all of this? trust me plutonite lenses are not a gimmick. I think the fact oakley is the only sun glass manufacturer in the world to have ANSI certification should be proof enough to the qualit. Not sure if you are aware of this or not but you eyesight will more than likely degrade over time regardless of whether or not you wear sunglasses and I can assure you wearing oakley polarized lenses will not speed up the degradation of your eyesight. Wearing low quality lenses that are optically distorted could very well cause degradation and fatigue in your eyesight but thankfully that is not an issue with oakley lenses
    not to start an argument but your taking this a little too seriuosly and personally arent you i feed fish.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast