Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Delta Stripers - 4/21.

Default Delta Stripers - 4/21.

Yesterday was a lesson in tenacity. The final score ended up well enough with 25 + to the boat, with the big fish scaling @ #7, but as it often goes, it took a while (and then some) for things to line up and the catching to begin.

Made a Hogback launch at the usual grey light hour. Right from the get go, I was not enthused about conditions - cool, post-frontal with sustain 20+mph winds straight out of the west - those winds are going to make at least half my spots difficult to fish. Nonetheless, we were there and on it. My crew for the day was Carlo, and my friend Phil - a guy brand new to delta striper plugging. With the delta in major hangover mode, we cleared the cut and shot west to begin our day.

As expected, I did some drive bys at some of my spots before dropping the trolling motor. Just a blown out mess with a fat high tide. After about a half hour of motoring and looking, we began the slogging process and just started to make some casts in heinous conditions. As one would expect, both fishin and catchin were tough as a 2 dollar steak. I'll sum it up the A.M. portion of our day -lot's of running and gunning, maybe 15 or so stops fishin in blustery condition.

As noon approached, I happen to notice that the wind had laid down a bit. I was thinking that there's no way in that it'd been building all morning and I had pretty much resigned to the notion that today was going to be all disappointment. Well, things changed, and in a big way, once the afternoon was upon us.

It was one of those rare days when howling winds in the A.M. gave way to FAC glass-like conditions....I'LL TAKE IT! Quickly, I decided to look at one of the spots that was unfishable this morning. Good call in that after about 10 minutes of casting, our day of catching began. Started things off right with Carlo and I getting a double:

And that was how are steady 2 hour pick on a 50/50 ratio keeper-grade and shakers. Nothing spectacular, but after 6 hours of working hard to generate a bite, it was welcome. The better fish:

And then there was Phil getting his plug-cherry popped. He ended up with 5 for the day, mostly shakers but he was stoked nonetheless:

It's always amazing how biting fish can change one's outlook and demeanor in the blink of an eye. We'd all had a shot of enthusiasm and had a blast with hooking a fish every 10 mintutes or so. However, like all good things, the bite waned with the slowing tide, so we applied the same pattern and went to go look at other spots that were blown out in the morning. We were not as fortunate at those spots, with only a shaker here and there to show for it.

On the way back, we make one more stop at the spot we had caught earlier. It was a fun way to kill the last hour of the day. Carlo did well on the last drift or two, using his custom-painted LV500 clone to catch a few:

I guess I can't talk smack about his paint job anymore...it did indeed, work. He also got the itch to throw the waxwing and was rewarded in short order:

Not to be outdone, I tied on a waxwing. I've had this green shad (or what ever its call) color in my box for some time, never tieing it on because bone white has been my confidence color. Glad I gave it a try. 3 casts into it and I hooked my best fish of the day:

I really hated to leave what I'm sure amounted to some great conditions for an evening bite, but we had to go. Still, I'm glad that we were able to finally get on a few biters and more importantly, get Phil on some plug-caught striper. It's always best when everyone has a great time, and all did.

Winds - 20+ in the AM to FAC by early afternoon.

Water Temps: 56 to 62 in the thinner water.

Water Clarity - 1' to 3' depending. Its looking good out there. Still, debris and lots of larger floating objects that can ruin a day. Lookout when motoring.

Best tide - the ebb.

What worked: lipless cranks, rip baits and waxwings caught our fish. 1 or 2 on the swimbait.

GREAT JOB H,K,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Niceeeeeeeeee

Soon as i put a WHOOPIN on the boys at striperfest i,l be starting to plan my trip up that way,,,,,,,CANT WAIT!

Water is still MUD down hear,,,,,,,,,its gotta change soon
    STRIPER11550:Twisted:

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

great day out there. you certainly have put your dues in out there and it shows. nice FEEESH!

Best damn striper report on fnn all month!

And on the waxwing.... shhhhh! Lmao

nice work out there : )

looks like a good solid day..

sorry for the belated reply : (

way ta rock those stripeys world !

sometime soon I gotta make a run out there....been eyeing things up there for some time...

Noticed U had the tail hook removed on one of those lures...U do that on purpose to get for sway ? just curious.

Either way..
    Slayin dem suckas...

congrats,
    Gary

NICE CATCHES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,