Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: BSP

Default BSP

are there any bsp's in Long Beach? I have fish for them but can not find any
    can anybody give me some info

whats a bsp?

Quote Originally Posted by xahx
    whats a bsp?

BSP= Barred Surf Perch

Well its not really that hard, you just need the right bait at the right time.

Best baits are sandcrabs, lugworms, and mussel.

With mussel, its best to tie them to the hook by wrapping thread around it a few times, that way it can survive a few strikes.

Since surfperch have small mouths, try using a smaller hook.

Since this time of year has mostly smaller BSP, a larger one will be fairly elusive. You might have more fun targeting the corbina.

And remember to carolina rig for these guys.

Spooks,

From what I've read BSP can be found at almost any So Cal Beach. Look for a change in how the waves are breaking. ie a place that they may be breaking twice, breaking closer to shore, maybe breaking further out... all of these are tips that there may be some sort of structure underneath. I was once told look for "skinny" water if that makes sense.

Also I've recently switched to Gulp Camo Sandworms. I use about a 2 inch piece and have had so much luck with them that that is almost all I use now when fishing the Surf for BSP's.

Hope that helps.

Smoke Hound,

When are the larger models of BSP's around? I've mostly ony ever caught your average palm sized ones but I've seen pics of some absolute pigs...

Thanks,

Mike

Default thanks for all the help guys

well I have caught bsp in Oxnard, but never in Long Beach. I was once told by a Local that there is NO Bsp in long beach, found it hard to believe but after trying a few times with no success, Im starting to wonder.
    thats the reason for my Q. any more input will be gladly taken.

I've used a size 2 worm hook and caught BSP .....

usual setup, go lite on the line 6-8 lb, I use izorline, carolina rig, 1' 1/2" flouro leader and a size 2,4 mosquito hook (red in color)

if your using lugworms, i use a size 2 worm hook

OH THOSE PERCH!!

the zebra ones.. i know where you can find them... near 2 harbors. i dove these last week and saw a bunch.

dude they have to be in long beach. Its not even that far from huntington, and there are tons of surfperch. From what ive seen myself, surfperch fishing is best during winter/early spring. Everyone swears by sandcrabs, but i just use lugworms.

When surf fishing, i just hook the middle of the worm, and wrap thread around the middle to end, so its tied to the line. Just think ace bandage when you do this, and it should work just fine. When pier fishing for them, i stay just like 30 feet away from the breaking waves, offshore. Always get nice bsp in huntington like that. Sargo fishing seems best in long beach. Those love mussels alot. Some kind asian fishermen gave me these little live clams, and they worked great. Much softer than even mussels.

Try making a little bait catapault before you go, so you can toss a bunch of bait in one section, and cast there. That way the fish get attracted, and if the smelt are in that spot, they will make a big commotion, and attract larger fish that will push them aside and take the bait. Ive never done this, but its just an idea that might help :)