Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trash on the bank

Default Trash on the bank

hey guys, i've been getting complaints in the shop about how a lot of shore anglers are leaving their trash behind them as they leave the lake so today i payed my way in the lake and left the rods in the truck to see for myself before fishing. grabbed a couple big white trash bags, just in case, and started to walk the bank picking up garbage. i only made it "TWO" points and both bags were full to the top. absolutely uncalled for.

bottles everywhere, bags of cut anchovies and sardines,, packs of hooks, broken bottles.... yeah.

i spend more time at the lake than i do at my own house damn near and view this as an insult. imagine somebody coming to your house and dumping a back of trash on your front lawn. how would you feel? not very good huh? why would littering at a lake be any differernt? too far to the trash cans? dont want to leave biting fish? there's really no excuse. im no saint myself, i throw out old worms and all that but we all need to try and do better. with all the information i try to give out whether its anglers from this forum or not, it almost feels like a slap in the face. we need to treat this lake as its our home. WITH THIS LAKE BEING A PRESERVE, IT MAKES MORE SENSE TO KEEP IT CLEAN IN ORDER FOR IT TO STAY OPEN! THEY ALREADY HAD IT CLOSED FOR BOATS AND WE HAD TO FIGHT FOR A RAMP AND MORE WATER. DONT GIVE THEM THE POWER TO SHUT YOUR SHORELINE DOWN.

not many people will like me for this, but if you all want to know where the best bite has been on bank, look for all the trash. fish cut sardines on either a modified carolina rig set up or high low set up there and you'll catch the stripers and catfish. i know, im putting 2-3 major spots on blast, but if you clean up after you, maybe your spots will remain secret.

if any of you witness people too lazy to throw their own trash away, call me at the shop and i will personally come down, walk the bank and pick up behind them. i didnt even cast a line today... horrible.

i plan to show up every sunday to clean up. if any of you are willing to sacrifice a day on the water to helping me, it'd be awesome. get with me and we'll figure something out.

I'LL BUY THE TRASH BAGS!

Good example man.

I see empty bags of Yamamoto on the shore of DVL more so than other lakes around.
    Hurts the image of anglers. (not to mention the lake and environment!) Pretty much everyone that goes here and leaves trash is gonna be an angler or friend of one.

I'm always preaching to pick up your plastics too.

I brought a bag down to DVL the other day and packed stuff out. I was trying to tell Ivan to bring a few things out each trip as well. We brought in a stinky bait and waiters' worm cup and we don't even use bait!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.

good job man. a little each day will definitely help.

Hey Matt
    I feel your pain and then again I got to ask why did you expect anything different, just because it's DLV,
    Californian are pigs, not only at trashing up lake, our oceans and parks freeways... I could go on and on, at
    Castaic its consider structure.
    Props for you going out at cleaning up.
    I usually cone home with a net full of trash of crap I find floating on the water, one of the worst is to follow a fellow bass fisherman and looking at a floater trail of butts.
    Keep voicing your concerns around the lake it will get you some results.
    Dave

Lets start a group which goes from lake to lake each week and fish's half the day n picks up trash the other half?
    we all know its not just DVL who has this prob.. PM me if you wanna do this

I applaud your efforts...other than picking up other people trash, what else can be done to prevent this? How about a leaflet attaching to check-in papers IN BOLD RED LETTERS saying "PLEASE PICK UP AFTER YOURSELF AND WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORT"......

This can only be accomplished through constant reminder to the people who comes to the lake.

When I was up there I saw like there broken rods on shore also saw trash

i HEAR YOU BUT THE PROBLEM IS EVERY WHERE NOT JUST DVL TAKE WHAT YOU BRING AND GRAB WHAT YOU CAN THAT THE SLOBS LEAVE BEHIND
    GREAT THREAD BRO
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post
    hey guys, i've been getting complaints in the shop about how a lot of shore anglers are leaving their trash behind them as they leave the lake so today i payed my way in the lake and left the rods in the truck to see for myself before fishing. grabbed a couple big white trash bags, just in case, and started to walk the bank picking up garbage. i only made it "TWO" points and both bags were full to the top. absolutely uncalled for.

bottles everywhere, bags of cut anchovies and sardines,, packs of hooks, broken bottles.... yeah.

i spend more time at the lake than i do at my own house damn near and view this as an insult. imagine somebody coming to your house and dumping a back of trash on your front lawn. how would you feel? not very good huh? why would littering at a lake be any differernt? too far to the trash cans? dont want to leave biting fish? there's really no excuse. im no saint myself, i throw out old worms and all that but we all need to try and do better. with all the information i try to give out whether its anglers from this forum or not, it almost feels like a slap in the face. we need to treat this lake as its our home. WITH THIS LAKE BEING A PRESERVE, IT MAKES MORE SENSE TO KEEP IT CLEAN IN ORDER FOR IT TO STAY OPEN! THEY ALREADY HAD IT CLOSED FOR BOATS AND WE HAD TO FIGHT FOR A RAMP AND MORE WATER. DONT GIVE THEM THE POWER TO SHUT YOUR SHORELINE DOWN.

not many people will like me for this, but if you all want to know where the best bite has been on bank, look for all the trash. fish cut sardines on either a modified carolina rig set up or high low set up there and you'll catch the stripers and catfish. i know, im putting 2-3 major spots on blast, but if you clean up after you, maybe your spots will remain secret.

if any of you witness people too lazy to throw their own trash away, call me at the shop and i will personally come down, walk the bank and pick up behind them. i didnt even cast a line today... horrible.

i plan to show up every sunday to clean up. if any of you are willing to sacrifice a day on the water to helping me, it'd be awesome. get with me and we'll figure something out.

I'LL BUY THE TRASH BAGS!

Matt just want you to know that if you catch any flak for this it will be from the culprits causing this problem, I am 75% of the time a shore fisherman at DVL and I applaud your efforts, I always try to pick up what I can on my way out but cant help but feel that I would not make much of a differance being the only one doing this, I'm glad to hear someone step up and put this out there and bring it to light. Very inspired by you and others who have chimmed in to continue on picking up after others. Wish there was some way of pointing out the culprits and having them punished somehow. It's not just an insult to fisherman its an insult to our humanity.

Good job on trying to get the word out there and put some spotlight on bad treatment of our fisheries. It's sad that people in general are such slobs. I'd like to say I've only seen trashed lakes and river in California, but it happens everywhere I've been. Its sad to see a place like DVL trashed, even sadder when you see in a place like the High Sierras. Do your job as a conservationist and fisherman and pack your trash people!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast