Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coachella Canal Flatheads May 6th

Default Check your regs

Quote Originally Posted by Catsfordays View Post
    Don't get caught using Tilapia in our area rivers and canals. They are illegal.
    Talapia are legal
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-18-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Default Done Did Dat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    Talapia are legal in all colorado river waters. They are found in the Colorado River, Coachella Canal, All American canal and all areas in between. Now you are not supose to transport them from one area to another but they are legal to us in all colorado river waters. In fact the coachella valley water district put them in the canal system for weed control.

couesdeer77

Before you made your post, you should have checked the regs yourself. The CC,AA,Highline Alamo,Lake Cahuilla are all part of the Colorado River District. Section 4.15 of the bait regulations states which baitfish can be used in this district. Tilapia are not listed. There are two exceptions however. (1) Tilapia may be used in the Salton Sea. Well, that's a moot point since there are no Corvina anymore. (2) Tilapia may be taken and used for bait in the Colorado River and it's associated backwaters, only within the area bounded by the Palo Verde Diversion Dam south to Morelos Dam. The Game Wardens out here would issue warnings in the past. Not anymore. If you are caught using Tilapia, they will ticket you. I ran into a guy fishing the Highline and we got to talking. He told me that a friend of his was fishing 2 rods with live Tilapia. The Warden issued him a citation. The judge fined him$330 for each tilapia used. $660 total!!! Yikes!!! I'm not trying to dog you Lance. But, i'm sure that you'd feel bad if someone got a hefty fine, based on your info.

[ The anglers here are smart
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-19-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    Did you know that talapia are in all the canals and rivers you just listed. The old district supervisor Tom Stenson for the Riverside Imperial County (warden) told me that talapia can be used as long as they are not transported to or from the site being fished. I have used them for years with no peoblems and have been checked many times. You are giving third hand information. You talked to someone who has a friend who. Anyway I am not here to argue. I have never had a problem using them and will continue to do so. The anglers here are smart and can make up their own minds. I will use them and continue to hammer the fish.

Take care
    Couesdeer77 AKA Lance
    Of course i know...........I've been fishing this area as long as you. Ask Brian or Tommy or Mike,S,that you work with. They will know who you're talking about. Your info was solid years ago. Not now. I tell you what, call the DFG office on the corner of Washington and Country Club in Bermuda Dunes and ask the warden if Live Tilapia use is allowed anywhere but the Salton Sea in our area. I look forward to your post. As far as third hand knowledge, yes, that incident was hearsay, but i've personally been told to dump out my Tilapia on 2 separate occasions in the I.V. I was also told that soon there would be no more warnings. That was last year.......Jim R

where about did you catch these if you dont mind me asking? i caught 7 last year inless than a week all about that same size all from the exact same spot. lol just curious if you will share if you want to just reply to my private message thats fine too. thanks for any help

Those are some nice flats desertcat. Good to go.

Also about the Tilapia we were checked once and had to dump them. Its silly since Tilapia are all over the place there. I also think it depends on the DFG who is checking you but they told us they were illegal and we could not have anyone use them in our tournament in the IV. I sure wish there was a clear expanation regarding this because ity is a part of the Colorado River water district but yet it also says that Tilapia can only be used in or around the Colorado River and the Palo Verde area. I believe a petition is needed to change that. All of those waters lead to the Salton sea plus those waters already have Tilapia in it. The Co River has them for goodness sake so you know its feeder waters do as well.

we also have had to dump tilapia,we asked many times and finally got a good and clear answer, any waters inside of the 111 and 86 IV borders which is what the regs state these fish can be used. We haven't had anymore problems since then better safe than empty pockets $$$$$$$.

Joe

You guys make me HOME sick. Lived in the desert for 20+ years. Moved out of Bermuda Dunes 4 years ago. One thing I don't miss is that damn heat and humid mornings when the SS smell would come north. Yeek! Nothing worst then opening the door at 6:30 am and walking into that 3 or 4 times a year. But somehow I miss it, go figure.
    You guys have fun and keep cool
    Bill

Awsome catches fellas; simply awsome!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12