Heres the deal, I deeply gut hooked a nice 4 lb LMB on Friday while using a 5/0 ewg hook. The hook was taking up most of the fished throat (blocking) so I attempted to remove the hook. I was able to go in through the gills and cut the hook in half with dykes, and then manipulate the hook out of the fishes throat by passing the hook the same way it went in.

Problem is, the fish died. I think I wasn't prepared to remove the hook, and had to search too long for the tool fight the wind to keep the boat from running ashore. The fish ended up dying due to exposure. I have done some extensive reading in the past and have come to the conclusion that leaving a hook in the fishes throat is in many times a bad idea, especially if it is a large hook that obstructs the throat enough that the fish would starve to death. But who is to say.

I was actually kind of bummed as I always c&r.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Some people say cut the line at the hook and leave it as the hook will rust away in a matter of days/weeks and the fish will be fine.

Others say cut the line 18" outside the fishes mouth to leave a tag end, supposedly this is supposed to help keep the hook oriented so it wont block the fishes throat.

And finally, another camp says, take gut hooked fish home and eat them as they will probably die anyways.

I say, 1. plated and stainless hooks dont rust. 2.better to attempt removal if you have the tools, dexterity, and technique down.

Discuss: