Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dockweiler sliders 8/06 pm

Default dockweiler sliders 8/06 pm

after checking out ucla's first fall practice, i decided to hit the beach and go fishing... so was driving down culver debating whether to turn right to mdr or go left to el segundo... as fate would have it, a lexus cut in front of me and nudged me to the left... so i am driving along the beach and dockweiler looks pretty empty so decide to hit it up. it was about 6:45 and i had about an hour of daylight left... it was about 3 hours after high tide. water was pretty clear and not too much salad. current was going slightly south. crabs beds were not crazy under my feet but still pretty easy to find.

inspect the surf and sure enough, see a couple of beans swirling about in the surf... toss my crabs a little over the swirls but no luck. start to think back to sinjin's post last year and look for incoming surf that crashed into each other... throw the crab over there and squat down waiting for a bite and sure enough, get a hit and bring this little baby up...

i'm thinking, at least i don't get the :skunk: . toss out a couple more times and bring in this little barred perch.

now i'm thinking, ok, this isn't so bad. but i need to get a nice one to make the season... so keep working the shoreline, again looking for areas where the surf is crashing together and stuff is getting tossed about. just as the sun is going down, get a nice bite and fish on! this was a nice one as it ran about 10 times. each time i am praying that my leader doesn't snap, so put my pole down and let it run. man these fish are fun. finally it starts to tire out and i bring it in with a big wave and beach it. nice little fatty. :banana:

this is a good twenty incher but looked pregnant or just ate a whole bunch... hooked perfectly on the lip so the release was easy. had to help it back in as i think it was pooped out from the fight...

cast a few more times but it was getting too dark so went home...

go out and get those beans... they're everywhere! :thumb:

cdlc

I remember seeing your "bean" reports last summer. Good to see you doing your "thang" again this summer.

I on the other hand have been too busy with bass fishing to fish the surf this year. However, I plan to make time for surf fish as well sometime soon.

Great job out there! I have tried surf fishing once and loved it alot. BTW, what is "bean?"
    Thanks,
    servantjoe

Quote Originally Posted by servant joe
    Great job out there! I have tried surf fishing once and loved it alot. BTW, what is "bean?"
    Thanks,
    servantjoe
    "bean" is short for "corbina" :D

everybody seems to worship these fish,,, whats the big deal?? are they hard to catch or sumthing???

...Wait thats a joke right? :lol:

Nice job man. That last one was a fatty for sure. Im quite surprised ya didnt keep 'er. Nice release! (Personally, i prefer smaller croakers.. I just scale them and fry em up whole like you would a trout.)

nice job on the bean.

inspirational report

beans are in the croaker family so is the WSB...so I am imagining the hype lay in there somewhere

Hey Clem,
    Nice job out there in the surf...sweet bean! Thanks for the report, great pics too!

My Trojans are looking for revenge this year at the Coliseum!

Fight On!

TD

thanks for the comments everyone....

swisherfisher... i love 'em cause they swim up and bump your feet and tease you all day... kinda like trout fishing in a stream. you see 'em but you gotta present your bait just right.... like a salmon egg going down a stream. but you are in the surf... i used to put a three ounce weight and throw 'crabs out a half mile or so... stupid me until i came to these boards last year and was educated by halijedi (aka sinjin). now i am hunting 'beans... sneaking around looking for swirls and sliders and crouching down casting sometimes less than 20 feet with an 1/8 oz sinker, a 4lb leader about 20-30 inches long and a tiny mosquito hook. and for this set-up, there is not better fight... i love to here the spool spinning and the fish running. and just when you think you've tired it out, it runs again... that's why i like it... and summer is the best time...

as for cnr, i don't keep anything out of this area. paranoid i guess, but love the sport of it all... even though this place is a lot better than before, you still get those reports about unsafe water.

and to troutdog, love that you have dodger stadium as your avatar... just glad we broke the streak.... :wink:

lates
    ch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast