Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Cinco De Mayo at Echo Park Lake

Default Cinco De Mayo at Echo Park Lake

Found myself driving by Echo Park Lake today with my gear in the car and figured I'd try a few casts.
    My weapon of choice was a yamamoto grub t-rigged on 6 lb test. Started walking up along the bank and saw lots of bass fry and quite a few baby bass; looks like the post spawn.
    Maybe ten casts in, my rod loads up on the drop. I Set the hook and fish on. Good fight and I pull in my first Echo Park bass! CPR'ed him quickly and kept fishing.

I just noticed my date is wrong on the camera, this was caught today.
    Well now that I had that bass confidence in me, I figured I'd walk around the lake. I lost one near the boathouse, but it felt like a dink.
    Then I managed a mean little bluegill who decided to mess with the grub. Released him, no picture; only about 7 inches or so.
    Then as I'm working my way around enjoying the beautiful day, I feel like I'm hung up on a shopping cart. Give it a little pull and my line starts pulling hard to the right. I set the hook and this thing doesn't move at all. After a few minutes I managed to reel him in a bit and saw one ugly catfish. Big catfish, 10+ easy. I walked my way down the bank about 50 yards trying to find a place to land him; as I walked around a tree near the bank I almost got pulled in. Finally, found a suitable place and slide him up on the bank. Bink! Line breaks, and I made no attempt to catch him as he slid right bank into the water and back into the depths of the Echo.
    My PB catfish as I rarely ever fish for them. I wish I could've gotten a picture of the beast!
    I worked my way around the rest of the lake for nothing. Although, I briefly thought about trying for one of the large carp that I saw swimming around.
    It turned out to be a great Cinco De Mayo for me. A Three species day at Echo Park with great weather, little fishing pressure, and lots of pretty girls walking around the lake.
    Hope you liked the report. See you out there soon.

nice! thanks for the report. good to know thta there's bass in there.

Hmm I went there yesterday farmed a 2-3lb near the boathouse as well, caught mostly fries near the island...Hey Scotty, did you hear about the lake being drained for cleaning? Most if not all of the wildlife there will be transferred to another pond/lake. I heard its a 2 year project, saw a white posted sign near the sewage drain towards the kids playground.

Oh BTW Happy 5th of May everyone...
    Last edited by ityperx; 05-05-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ityperx View Post
    Hmm I went there yesterday farmed a 2-3lb near the boathouse as well, caught mostly fries near the island...Hey Scotty, did you hear about the lake being drained for cleaning? Most if not all of the wildlife there will be transferred to another pond/lake. I heard its a 2 year project, saw a white posted sign near the sewage drain towards the kids playground.

Oh BTW Happy 5th of May everyone...
    yeah what ever happened with that, weren't they suppose to have done that in Feb?

Quote Originally Posted by ityperx View Post
    Hey Scotty, did you hear about the lake being drained for cleaning?
    The lake gets fenced off in January 2011. Better get your fishing in now, as I'm hearing it might be closed for up to two years. I hope they save the bass that are in that lake, as I know it has a healthy population of them.
    Here is a good link for more information.
    http://www.echoparknow.com/tag/rehab-project/

As of right now the city has no plan to relocate the bass population. I have work on echo park lakes bass fishery for about 12 years. We have some nice bass in the lake. It is a shame that they just push this project fast and now we might lose a great fishery. I have seen the proposal and it dose not mention about returning echo par lake in to the same fishery it is now.

Wow you had quite a Cinco de Mayo, WTG. So, yeah what happened to the whole rehabilitation thing? Last I heard from unconfirmed sources May was going to be when the project starts.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyP View Post
    The lake gets fenced off in January 2011. Better get your fishing in now, as I'm hearing it might be closed for up to two years. I hope they save the bass that are in that lake, as I know it has a healthy population of them.
    Here is a good link for more information.
    http://www.echoparknow.com/tag/rehab-project/
    Do you mean 2012?

Gonna bump this. Does anyone know if the park is still open to fishing? I'm getting bored with Legg lake and want to mix things up.