Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: what size hook for bluegills?

Default what size hook for bluegills?

i have been using #8 and 10 mosquito hooks. The problem with the 10's is that if i dont watch carefully theyll swallow it and since the bluegills mouths are so small ill throat hook or gut hook em. Then i feel bad wen they start bleeding out or float back up 2 min after putting em back. ino leaving the hook in its mouth will impede it from eating thus leading to death. and the 8's are too big for smaller baits. what size hook is best for bluegills? and are there any specially thin pliers for bluegills?

check the fishing tackle section...fish mounter did a circle hooks thread...and cuz of that thread, I started using #8 circles....get hooked in the corner of the mouth 99% of the time.....

GD

LOL...oops..this IS the fishing tackle section..look 2 threads down man

lol

GD

X2 with gd! I actually started using #8 circles for drop shotting trout this last year, also works great for catching carp!

I use much smaller hooks than that, but I use a very sensitive float or waggler. I think if you watch for the bite and hook the fish you will have less problem with hooks getting swallowed. A small light float and light weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I use much smaller hooks than that, but I use a very sensitive float or waggler. I think if you watch for the bite and hook the fish you will have less problem with hooks getting swallowed. A small light float and light weight.
    Ino if u watch ull definitely avoid gut hooking. its just sometimes u take ur eye of the bobber and they take it and swallow before u see

Quote Originally Posted by troutking View Post
    Ino if u watch ull definitely avoid gut hooking. its just sometimes u take ur eye of the bobber and they take it and swallow before u see
    thats why you should use circle hooks...

GD

#10 Circle hooks on a clear water bobber thingy or just a plastic red bead works for me