Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: ugly stick?

Default ugly stick?

I haven't fished this year and I'm ready to get out there. Usually I'll take the float tube out to castaic or fish from shore but last year I broke my shimano rod and I've been looking for a cheap replacement. If I continue to get out on the lake often then I'll put out more money for a better rod. I mainly just plastics on 8lb line on my sedona. Just wondering if you think a med. 7 ft ugly stick would make a decent combo with my sedona for plastics?

Ugly Sticks will work.... although I think you could do a little better shopping around for about the same price. The reels that come on the combos are junk though.

I would go to turners and pick up one of the California Bass Rods for 50 bucks and stick your reel on that. Then you'd have a strong fast action rod that would be more sensitive. I would imagine you'd miss a fair share of the soft bites with the ugly stick.

yea i pickd up a 7ft. med ugly out of a trash can a few weeks ago and tried it out. not so sensitive so using for bait n' wait. ive herd good reviews on those california rods for their price

If you going to do repeated casts pick something lighter. Ugly Stik has lots of strength but it is on the heavy side. I used an Ugly Stik Inshore 7'6", it doesn't feel heavy but after a couple hours of repeated castings, my wrist actually hurt so now I just use it for bait and wait.