Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook remover

Default Hook remover

I have been using a hook remover made by Fishing Legends and there are amazing...They are so superior to those red hook removers and forceps you won't believe it...You never have to grip your fish, just leave fish in the water, grab hold of the line and slide tool down the line and tap the hook and the fish swims away to fight another day....It is so smooth...Kerry makes a couple of different sizes...I just got back from a trip to Long Beach...We were using ghost shrimp and 1/0 hooks and released a large number of bass unharmed using Kerry's new large remover....You can just about throw away your pliers, forceps and other hook removers...Check out Kerry's web site....FISHINGLEGEND.NET YOU WON'T BE SORRY.......

Quote Originally Posted by kirkboat View Post
    I have been using a hook remover made by Fishing Legends and there are amazing...They are so superior to those red hook removers and forceps you won't believe it...You never have to grip your fish, just leave fish in the water, grab hold of the line and slide tool down the line and tap the hook and the fish swims away to fight another day....It is so smooth...Kerry makes a couple of different sizes...I just got back from a trip to Long Beach...We were using ghost shrimp and 1/0 hooks and released a large number of bass unharmed using Kerry's new large remover....You can just about throw away your pliers, forceps and other hook removers...Check out Kerry's web site....FISHINGLEGEND.NET YOU WON'T BE SORRY.......
    NEVER USE THESE ON A GUT-HOOKED FISH!!

I never liked these tools, they are fish-killers.. No need for this with a circle-hook!

I have never had a fish roll using this tool, it is not like what you are use to....check it out...I also use circle hooks in a lot of different situations, they just don't always hook up in some situations and or different species...

I have never had a fish roll using this tool, it is not like what you are use to....check it out...I also use circle hooks in a lot of different situations, they just don't always hook up in some situations and or different species...
    it doesnt matter how it's removed, if the hook is in the gut, the fish will likely die, even if the hook ISN'T removed. Fish don't immediately die from this injury, it usually takes a few days to kill. That's why they dont "roll" on you.

Why would any Catch and Release fisherman want to use any live bait for bass fishing when there are MILLIONS of artificial lures and plastics that catch them?

I think any real serious CPR fisherman would not want to take a chance with any live baits.

Just my 10cent.

brian

we fish bass with plastics 99% of the time...granddaughters get to fish with bait and as they progress they will fish plastics...you have to keep them interested until they have the fever, then you can train them...you've got to remember their is a huge % of fisherman that use nothing but bait and they were the ones i would like to see use the hook remover....the remover also works perfect with plastics....even if the fish go on a stringer or in a sack the hook remover does a better job of getting the hook out...if a fish is hooked in the stomach i agree it will probably die, but if it is hooked in the back of the mouth and you do a clean removal it will live....i've caught alot fish that have hook holes in their mouth from previous releases...

ive seen this remover in action and it works great. its smooth and effective without putting much strain on the fish and urself. also luv all the colors...heres the cheesy line..."im hooked"
    Last edited by Frequent Flyer; 05-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.

we fish bass with plastics 99% of the time...granddaughters get to fish with bait and as they progress they will fish plastics...you have to keep them interested until they have the fever, then you can train them...you've got to remember their is a huge % of fisherman that use nothing but bait and they were the ones i would like to see use the hook remover....the remover also works perfect with plastics....even if the fish go on a stringer or in a sack the hook remover does a better job of getting the hook out...if a fish is hooked in the stomach i agree it will probably die, but if it is hooked in the back of the mouth and you do a clean removal it will live....i've caught alot fish that have hook holes in their mouth from previous releases...

That's good and thanks for the reply. I'm sure u have been doing fine on your releases. It's just a sensitive subject for me right now as my local lake has several guys using live nightcrawlers for C&R bass fishing. Recently I've been talking to some local anglers who say they've been seeing a fair amount of dead bass lately that all have mortal gut hooked wounds.

I totally understand how tough it is keeping little ones interested in fishing. I have a 5 1/2 yr old son and a 2 year old girl. RIght now I take my son mainly trout fishing and I've been able to get him to catch a fair amount of trout on lures. If he really wants to go bassin with me, I'll take him to my local lake and stay there usually only an hour or so, but I do make sure we are fishing at a spot that I know really well. Generally I put him on a dropshot with a roboworm as I have chosen not use any live baits even if my son gets the skunk. I've been teaching him that catchin bass is a treat and is totally different than fishing for trout or catfish.

respectfully.
    b

If you gut hook a fish there is no way you should try to try to remove it if you're going to release it. Just cut off the hook!
    I prefer the Ketchum release for my fly fishing and the ARC DeHooker for my saltwater use. Just
    btw: It also helps to use barbless hooks or bend down the barbs on your hooks if you C & R.
    LW

bass are disgusting. Trout are way better!:)
    Quote Originally Posted by bman90278 View Post
    That's good and thanks for the reply. I'm sure u have been doing fine on your releases. It's just a sensitive subject for me right now as my local lake has several guys using live nightcrawlers for C&R bass fishing. Recently I've been talking to some local anglers who say they've been seeing a fair amount of dead bass lately that all have mortal gut hooked wounds.

I totally understand how tough it is keeping little ones interested in fishing. I have a 5 1/2 yr old son and a 2 year old girl. RIght now I take my son mainly trout fishing and I've been able to get him to catch a fair amount of trout on lures. If he really wants to go bassin with me, I'll take him to my local lake and stay there usually only an hour or so, but I do make sure we are fishing at a spot that I know really well. Generally I put him on a dropshot with a roboworm as I have chosen not use any live baits even if my son gets the skunk. I've been teaching him that catchin bass is a treat and is totally different than fishing for trout or catfish.

respectfully.
    b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast