Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullfrog fishing at Harbor Park.

Default Bullfrog fishing at Harbor Park.

I wasn't sure where to post this but since it involves a city park lake I posted it here.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a good sized tank. I already have a tank full of fish so I wanted to do something a little different a put a bullfrog in it. Harbor Park Lake is pretty much infested with bullfrogs. Sometimes I see people spearing them to take them home and eat them. I want to keep one as a pet so I don't want to hurt it and skin contact with that water is totally out of the question so I was thinking about trying to hook one with hook and line. Anyone ever try this.

Default Info

I would think u would have to be careful at harbor lake when u bend over and pick up
    a frog. It could be like picking up a bar of soap in county jail. Lmao

I catch them every year at Barrett. They would come and attack my frog (Dean Rojas) while I am froggin for bass. You can also catch them flylining nightcrawlers to them. Have fun.

Use a big BARBLESS hook (Flatten down the barb with pliers). Don't use nightcrawlers because the frog will swallow it really quick and you will kill it by hooking it in it's gullet. Just use any large plastic worm. Also I don't know how well a Bullfrog will survive in a tank full of water. They need to get out of the water periodically. It also will try to eat you fish. Bullfrogs are cool looking animals, but they don't make very good pets unless you have a large pond.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Use a big BARBLESS hook (Flatten down the barb with pliers). Don't use nightcrawlers because the frog will swallow it really quick and you will kill it by hooking it in it's gullet. Just use any large plastic worm. Also I don't know how well a Bullfrog will survive in a tank full of water. They need to get out of the water periodically. It also will try to eat you fish. Bullfrogs are cool looking animals, but they don't make very good pets unless you have a large pond.
    It's going to be housed in a tank that is half land half water--aka a paludarium. I researched online what is required to raise one in captivity and they make interesting pets. It's going to be bad a s s.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    It's going to be housed in a tank that is half land half water--aka a paludarium. I researched online what is required to raise one in captivity and they make interesting pets. It's going to be bad a s s.
    If raising it doesnt turn out good you can always eat the legs. they taste like chicken if you fry them.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fish-o-haulic View Post
    If raising it doesnt turn out good you can always eat the legs. they taste like chicken if you fry them.
    What doesn't taste like chicken?

Just got back from the lake. Caught two and kept one. They are so easy to catch with hook and line. I used nightcrawlers. When they take it in their mouths they don't let go. I simply just reeled it up. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by Surfer; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Big barbless hook and line, fish them at night, just blind their eyes with spotlight and snag them. Or just scoop them using net.

Pics! We want Pics! Sounds like a RAD aquarium or what ever you called it? Hope it went well.

<><
    KP

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast