Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yellowtail fishing

Default yellowtail fishing

hey guys! i just bought a used jigmaster 500 and it has 2 spools. i was just wondering what # test i should fill them up with. i want to use it for live bait fishing. i already got 1 with 30# for jigs. thanks in advance

I'd put a bunch of 50lb spectra and top shot it with what ever you want as needed.

i was thinking of putting jus straight mono. jus dont know wut # test

spectras an investment but so is a spool of mono lately. The spectra will enable you to tie on what ever you need just put like 20 yard top shot of what ever you want when you want. If your stuck on the mono put some 40lb for the kelp...

hmmm. u got a good point. how much of spectra wood i put?

Becareful with spectra on the jigmaster 500's. There's a big enough gap from the spool where the spectra could wind up in if the line got loose. I would spool one with 25# and the other with 30#. No point in putting 40# on as the drags would not be able to handle 40# line.

40lb for jigs, 25-30lb for bait, 20lb if ur ballsy

also...depending on how old that 500 is, make sure it dont have a plastic spool!! The older ones did..and winding spectra on it tight will crack spool in half

GD

plastic spools are death man. great spool for throwing the jig. super light and all that jive.

does the reel have newell parts in it? if its got the newell high speed gears in it and you wanna throw the plug, slap some 30 or 40 on it and let a rip. assuming the new reel has upgraded parts.

stick with 20 and 25 for most everything local. dont gotta go too heavy. dont worry about line style. big game, izor or p line and you'll be fine. i love the feel of izor when fly lining a bait but love p line when tossin jigs. half the time you dont end up fishing below 25 or above 30 anyway on the local ****. if we see larger fish showing, up your line size. no biggie

X2 on the P-line and Izorline--the best I.M.O. If you're fishing sardines I would go with 30 and 40 if fishing squid on sliding sinkers. I gave up local fishing years ago so I don't know how big or small yellows are today but there used to be some BRUTE home-guard yellows around and you will not be able to stop 'em with 20-25lb string. I remember dudes getting hooks straightened and rocked like nothing so 30lb would be a good starting point.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast