Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fish Batter. No not the latest Dodger player

Default Fish Batter. No not the latest Dodger player

Whats your favorite fish batter and its recipe? Or do you go with store bought in the box stuff?

Myself I tried and tried and I can't seem to get it right. Then one day I saw a box/BAG of Dan Hernandez Baja style fish taco mix. Bought it and wow it was just what I had been looking for. The worse thing is I am still looking for it. The store had one box/BAG on the shelf and no one there can tell me when they will get more. I have looked everywhere except a web site so that's my next try.
    Of course if your recipe is top secret you can PM me and I will keep it Secert

UPDATE. 11-11-11
    Yep, found it on the website not long ago. Went through the first order quick. I ordered 10 bags on Nov. 8th and got them on the 9th. Now that's service.. Going to use a couple for stocking stuffers this year to spread the word.

I also run the tortias into some hot oil for a few moments. This helps make them taste and hold together better.
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 11-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.

the Ralphs by my house, (Lake Forest) Always carries it, but it is in a bag, not a box. Love that stuff! HTH

http://www.danhernandezfoods.com/batter.asp

Or you could make your own.

1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1 - 2 cups of beer depending on the texture you like. (I like it a little thinner)

Add whatever spices or herbs you like, granulated garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, dill, sage, paprika. You get the idea.

My favorite is Dixie Fry.

I used to make my own. Then I got a hold of the DH stuff. So good (and less of a mess to deal with).
    Originally had to buy it online, after checking every grocery store nearby. Bought more at his booth at the Fred Hall show as well.

I've double battered some fish with the DH mix. It's definitely worth the heart attack risk.

Sometimes the one thing many forget about is,after the flour,salt pepper,garlic pwdr,beer ect,you have to always remember a teaspoon of baking soda pwdr,when making fish tacos if you forget the baking pwdr,the pieces of battered fish sink to the bottom and stay there,with the baking pwdr they may sink for a second but then they float and get crispy and golden brown,great now I'm hungry!

Cya Tuna VIc

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_fish'r View Post
    My favorite is Dixie Fry.
    Dixie fry is great on Calamari also!