Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home made power bait.Works the same at 1/10th the price.

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    California waters get progressively cleaner the farther NORTH you go. The closer you get to the hippies and potheads in the far northern reaches of the state, the better the environment. The closer you are to Mexico and Southern California, the worse it gets. The pollution probably comes from the higher population density.
    I'm sure your right tree, too bad early settlers didnt' have the foresight to put things in place to preserve things. But, from what I'm told things have improved a heck of a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
    How about micro balloons replacing a bit of the flour. Add till it floats to your liking.

Get the stuff at any hobby shop that deals with model airplanes.
    microbaloons? what are they exactly?

Couldn't agree with you more Marley! I'm still blown away that power bait is used so much here.I'm used to live baits too and night crawlers are the best and most consistent bait I've ever used for any fish. However, when in rome... and at some of these places it just plane works. On this particular day something was up witht he fish and worms just didn't do the trick, so you do what you gotta do you know? haha, besides, i enjoy this stuff. If I'm going to use dough at all I'd rather is be something natural and this is a good way to do it. Thanks for pointing out what many people have forgotten..
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Aye, you guys and your Power Bait! Berkeley has done so much for fishing and the sport would be much the poorer without Power Bait, it's just that other things work well for these trout, too.
    Nothing beats a good, old fashioned, 100% natural night crawler for catching trout, unless it's a 100% natural meal worm. You can even grow them yourself. Other things that work well are mini marshmallows which you can use from the same bag as those floating atop your hot chocolate (BTW, how about marshmallow cream as a floatant for your dough bait?)
    The #1 forgotten trout bait (or is it a sleeper that no one talks about?) is Velveeta Cheese. Which, by the way, you can pinch off of the block you're putting atop your chili for lunch. A ball the size of a marble on a size 14 treble hook just need to be flylined.

Quote Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
    How about micro balloons replacing a bit of the flour. Add till it floats to your liking.

Get the stuff at any hobby shop that deals with model airplanes.
    So I looked these up and they seem inexpensive and safe enough. That was an excellent suggestion! I'll have to give these a try!! Thanks mxwrench!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheadpimp View Post
    Terrible. I'm still getting used to California waters. Lake Michigan has its problems, but its still extremely clean.
    If your not used to california waters it gets worse. I once caught a fish choking on a plastic bag. California fishing lakes and fish are crap compared to all the other states.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Aye, you guys and your Power Bait! Berkeley has done so much for fishing and the sport would be much the poorer without Power Bait, it's just that other things work well for these trout, too.
    Nothing beats a good, old fashioned, 100% natural night crawler for catching trout, unless it's a 100% natural meal worm. You can even grow them yourself. Other things that work well are mini marshmallows which you can use from the same bag as those floating atop your hot chocolate (BTW, how about marshmallow cream as a floatant for your dough bait?)
    The #1 forgotten trout bait (or is it a sleeper that no one talks about?) is Velveeta Cheese. Which, by the way, you can pinch off of the block you're putting atop your chili for lunch. A ball the size of a marble on a size 14 treble hook just need to be flylined.
    One of the only lakes I fish for just to fish trout is where i use powerbait. Because at this lake powerbait works best, more specifically rainbow and chartruese and even better with glitter. second best bet is nightcrawler and thats if the catfish dont eat it first.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheadpimp View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more Marley! I'm still blown away that power bait is used so much here.I'm used to live baits too and night crawlers are the best and most consistent bait I've ever used for any fish. However, when in rome... and at some of these places it just plane works. On this particular day something was up witht he fish and worms just didn't do the trick, so you do what you gotta do you know? haha, besides, i enjoy this stuff. If I'm going to use dough at all I'd rather is be something natural and this is a good way to do it. Thanks for pointing out what many people have forgotten..
    All we used to have was Zeke's and it was good! Then along came Power Bait and it seemed to be much better. I am not a huge fan of it but it's an easy thing to use and it really does work. My go-to bait is half a 'crawler (although the more I fish a straight mealworm the more I like it) but on the odd occasion that they're not biting ye olde garden hackle, I carry PB in original yellow, chartreuse and rainbow and I don't mind using it. I'd rather "cheat" than go home hungry.
    Have you tried the Power Worms? They're actually pretty awesome once you get the wiggle down just right.
    I have been told that the secret ingredient in a lot of floating baits is tiny glass bubbles (is that what a micro balloon is?)
    Last edited by Marley; 04-25-2011 at 05:19 PM.

All we used to have was Zeke's and it was good! Then along came Power Bait and it seemed to be much better. I am not a huge fan of it but it's an easy thing to use and it really does work. My go-to bait is half a 'crawler (although the more I fish a straight mealworm the more I like it) but on the odd occasion that they're not biting ye olde garden hackle, I carry PB in original yellow, chartreuse and rainbow and I don't mind using it. I'd rather "cheat" than go home hungry.
    Have you tried the Power Worms? They're actually pretty awesome once you get the wiggle down just right.
    I have been told that the secret ingredient in a lot of floating baits is tiny glass bubbles (is that what a micro balloon is?)
    Yeah thats what I'm finding out also. never heard of it before. very useful. Yeah, like Fish-o-haulic said, there are times when it's all tht works and it does work quite well. like you said also, I jsut don't like going home empty handed. At home I could walk down to the damn, get skunked and just be thankful for a great experience in nature, but around here I wanna make my $20 in gas worth the trip! lol :P

im going to give it a try! thanks for the recipe, ill let you know how it works.

This is the best write-up on this subject that I 've read. Thanks for the effort.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast