Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Cooler Livewell

Default Homemade Cooler Livewell

I've done a TON of research on homemade livewells out of coolers. Does anybody use one and what do you think? It's purpose will be to hold striper and kitties alive to take home. All LMB will be C&R.

The used boat I am getting does not have a live well, hence me making one.

After the research, I've decided on this...http://www.cabelas.com/aerators-bait...:referralID=NA

Does anybody use a kit like this?
    Last edited by Surfnsnowboard3; 04-25-2011 at 02:15 AM.

I must not get around much but I can't figure why you would want to carry around fish until the end of the day and then let them go. If you are C&R fish, why not let them go when you catch them?

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    I must not get around much but I can't figure why you would want to carry around fish until the end of the day and then let them go. If you are C&R fish, why not let them go when you catch them?
    Let me clarify, I re-read it and didn't explain myself clearly. I will be keeping and taking home striper and trout and catfish. Hence the need for a live well.

I think if you get caught with live trout you'll get a ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuster View Post
    I think if you get caught with live trout you'll get a ticket
    WTF are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    WTF are you talking about?
    its VERY illegal to move live trout,
    its generally illegal to move most live gamefish fish
    -bb

You guys have me all confused. Why are there livewells in boats if it's illegal to put fish in there?

From the DFG website:

1.63. Movement of Live Fish.
    Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30 and 2.30, live fin fish may not be transported alive from the water where taken.

and

4.00. Bait-General
    Legally acquired and possessed invertebrates, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians (except salamanders), fish eggs and treated and processed foods may be used for bait, except:

(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat;

All these guys think that you will use a cooler live well to take live fish home and possibly transport them into another body of water. They're all just Kooks! No but seriously there have been some cases of illegal transport of fish to another body of water that ruined a fragile fishery there. Anyways, I personally think that your cooler live well idea is neat. It would be a great way to keep stripers and cats as fresh as possible before you decide to take them home to eat. Just make sure to not have live trout in the cooler or someone may think you're using them for live bait. You just gotta love Socal people are just paranoid as F**k.

So if I catch a trout in my bass boat at DVL, I can't put it in my live well? I have to kill it right away? This doesn't seem logical to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast