Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Homemade Cooler Livewell

The problem comes from some dirty anglers keeping trout and useing them for bait on larger game so the DFG put in a law that it is illegal to keep live trout. I pretty sure all other game fish can be kept alive in live wells but not transported from the body of water were the catch was made.If you go to your local tackle store they have a book with the regs or look it up on line.

You dont want trout in a livewell, they will thrash around and their meat will become mushy, due to damage.

The same applies to stringers-- in the shallows, they'll flop around and bruise themselves.

The best way is to sever the spinal cord, and put em on ice immediately.

Not to mention trout lose scales rapidly under stress. When you put trout in the well they lose scales and slime for some reason, at least in my experience. Livewells on bass boats were designed to keep fish alive during live weigh-in tournaments. The fish never come home with you, they are released after being weighed at the weigh in station. As far the DFG is concerned, transporting ANY fish alive is a breach of regulation. They don't want bucket biologists messing up balanced fisheries in the name of self interest. Not to mention, fish can carry diseases from one watershed to another. Shad, stripers, and trout are species they really crack down on. Theoretically, catching bass and putting them in your tank at home is illegal, though rarely enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    Thanks for the response. So long story short, I might as well not spend $150-200 on a portable cooler livewell and jsut throw them in an ice chest on ice?

I'd like to hear from other people that don't have a livewell on their boat and what they do with the catfish and striper they keep?
    You can have striper and catfish live in a well or on stringer at the lake.. I usually keep them alive when I go either in a live well, in basket or on stringer.. Your only problem would arise if you tried to transport them from the lake, alive and were caught.. Hope this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    ....You can also bleed out the striper before you throw them in there..
    I hope you're doing that in a bucket and not into the lake. :-)

it is ielegal to take live fish u have to kill them or get fined

u can have a live well on your boat to keep them fresh and some turny.s require live weigh ins but u have to kill the fish prior to taking home

i think thats a good idea and u can use it for a live bait tank too,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234