Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Setup for yellowtail and yellowfin off San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    But that ends up with 250yd. of 65# braid + about 100yd. of 40# mono. Is that enough? Excuse my ignorance. I am a noob at this saltwater game.
    dude..thats PLENTY......like i stated previsoulsy...one of the advantages of using spectra is greater line capacity......

again...i get 300 yards of 65.....the rest mono....

GD

Thanks guys. It was just because some guys said that I needed at least a couple hundred yards of line...

But anyways, thanks for everything. I need to get on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    Thanks guys. It was just because some guys said that I needed at least a couple hundred yards of line...

But anyways, thanks for everything. I need to get on the water!
    yeah "line"....spectra IS line brother...lol that does count as part of your "line"

GD

after 6 pages and buttload of replies from me, youd BETTER get some gear now an FISH!!!

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    after 6 pages and buttload of replies from me, youd BETTER get some gear now an FISH!!!

GD
    Yeah GD,
    After all these pages I believe you should hook-up (pardon the pun ) with him on his first trip.
    LW

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    For a 1-1.5 day trip that should be more than enough. More often than not you will normally only use the first half of the line on your reel (providing the spool is properly topped off), naturally there's always the 1 in a 1,000,000 chance of being spooled by a Big Bluefin (one can always hope) .
    LW
    It could happen ...remember several years back when the Top Gun was on a 1 1/2 day trip and ran into a school of Big Eye Tuna , some pushing 120 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfishsmell View Post
    It could happen ...remember several years back when the Top Gun was on a 1 1/2 day trip and ran into a school of Big Eye Tuna , some pushing 120 lbs.
    Yeah I was semi-kidding, I remember a trip to the Cortez/Tanner banks where some guy was fishing for Yellowtail w/a small mack I had just handed him. I was chumming from the tank when I saw some "VW" size Bluefin come up the chum line (out of nowhere). I just happened to see his mack hit the water just where I had thrown a brail of bait to get them (bluefin) excited, and saw his bait disappear in a big 'ole swirl. He took a big swing and set the hook. After double checking the drag, he, I and another deckhand watched helplessly as about 350yds of 40# proceeded to disappear into the deep blue. In about 2 minutes it was over . We saw the knot on the bottom of the spool, and then it was over. "POP"
    This fish never even stopped!
    From my vantage point most of the fish we saw were over 100# with a handfull between 200-300#.
    So, I'm saying it does happen but what are you going to do?
    LW

Yeah I was semi-kidding, I remember a trip to the Cortez/Tanner banks where some guy was fishing for Yellowtail w/a small mack I had just handed him. I was chumming from the tank when I saw some "VW" size Bluefin come up the chum line (out of nowhere). I just happened to see his mack hit the water just where I had thrown a brail of bait to get them (bluefin) excited, and saw his bait disappear in a big 'ole swirl. He took a big swing and set the hook. After double checking the drag, he, I and another deckhand watched helplessly as about 350yds of 40# proceeded to disappear into the deep blue. In about 2 minutes it was over . We saw the knot on the bottom of the spool, and then it was over. "POP"
    This fish never even stopped!
    From my vantage point most of the fish we saw were over 100# with a handfull between 200-300#.
    So, I'm saying it does happen but what are you going to do?
    LW
    Do you/did you work on a boat?????

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    Do you/did you work on a boat?????

GD
    Yeah GD, I guess you don't remember some of our discussions last summer, got my start @ Redondo on "the City" and some time on "the special" when my girlfriend worked the galley back in the early '80's & some time down south in SD.
    FYI; do you remember the first WON Saltwater Whopper Derby back in '91? I was the one that took the #1 spot in the Tuna catagory. Unfortunately a severe car accident limited my saltwater excursions & tournaments for a few years afterwards. I hope to return this summer to a more full schedule.
    LW
    Last edited by Liteweight; 05-01-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Yeah GD, I guess you don't remember some of our discussions last summer, got my start @ Redondo on "the City" and some time on "the special" when my girlfriend worked the galley back in the early '80's & some time down south in SD.
    FYI; do you remember the first WON Saltwater Whopper Derby back in '91? I was the one that took the #1 spot in the Tuna catagory. Unfortunately a severe car accident limited my saltwater excursions & tournaments for a few years afterwards. I hope to return this summer to a more full schedule.
    LW
    dude..i dont remember 2 days ago..let alone last summer..lol

GD

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast