Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup for yellowtail and yellowfin off San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by ToadsToadsOnly View Post
    ...I have to warn you BEWARE you will have hardcore offshore fever all the time when the fish counts start to peak.

Oh yeah, the first time you get bit big and go flying into the rail, Spectra whistling off of your reel, you're gonna know what "gut-hooked" really means. You can't wait until you can do it again. Welcome!

Thanks for all the help guys!

@lovefofish: thanks man, but my local store stocks lots of avet and they can get me a better deal

the main thing about the spectra is that my local store is offering to spool me up with spectra for free because i know the owner.

I will be getting:
    SX (or MXJ?) for 30# spectra backing + 20# mono topping. Seeker SC800-7 1/2'.
    MXL for 50# spectra backing + 30# mono topping. Calstar 700H.

any suggestions? or is this good to go?

about how much line should my reel need for encounters with tuna? will they easily strip off a few hundred yards of line?
    Last edited by kzhlin; 04-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefofish View Post
    heres my 2 cents:

dont get the sx, its fancy and looks good but, a newell 229p will out cast it every time. especially when fishing light 20# or 30#. perfect for live bait.GET ONE WITH A CLICKER.

next you are going to need a yo-yo setup. 7' calstar will knock em down but for the reel your going to want quick retrive. Nothing is too quick for a tail'. The new diawa saltist(single speed) are like 6.3:1 and will haul that heavy iron in quick.

I also for loval I like to bring my ulua cut down to about 9'6" as my jig stick. for cudas this will cast a mile. one down side is its like fishing with a shovel handle and gets heavy quick.

again just my 2 cent's
    yeah...Newells rule...fished them most my life...till i got my Avets....cant go wrong with them

LMFAO @ ulua! youre gonna get this poor dudes a** kicked with that rod....

GD

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys!

@lovefofish: thanks man, but my local store stocks lots of avet and they can get me a better deal

the main thing about the spectra is that my local store is offering to spool me up with spectra for free because i know the owner.

I will be getting:
    MXJ for 30# spectra backing + 20# mono topping. Seeker SC800-7 1/2'.
    MXL for 50# spectra backing + 30# mono topping. Calstar 700H.

any suggestions? or is this good to go?

about how much line should my reel need for encounters with tuna? will they easily strip off a few hundred yards of line?
    lmao..ok go with ure light spectra..i give up on that one

"standard" spectra backing is 300 yards.....any standard reel...then topshot the rest with mono...that light stuff is gonna cut you...lol make sure you get flex wrap man.....

for a 20 lb rod...i would get at least an 8 foot rod....imo....

GD

VERY IMPORTANT if youve never used a lever drag reel, just thought about it, at least on the avets

NEVER EVER adjust drag knob when reel is in gear, ESPECIALLY on a fish..you WILL strip it out....ALWAYS make sure your drag is set proper BEFORE you start fishing....cant loosen it while a fish is running like with a star drag reel.....and you fish in "strike" not "full"....

GD

that rod is rated 20 (30) 60 idk why they have such a wide gap...

anyways....when a rod is rated, for example 20 30 40, the MIDDLE line rating is the optimal line weight for that rod, meaning it would be a "perfect" 30 lb rod ( i hope that makes sense to you, lol)

id get a rod rated 15-30, like the Calstar 800L....perfect 20 lb rod...or even beter, the 800XLH....

GD

so if i don't want to get cut, lol, then:

mxj 40#+20# mono. 800xlh.
    and
    mxl 50#+40# mono. 700H.

sound good?

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    so if i don't want to get cut, lol, then:

mxj 40#+20# mono. 800xlh.
    and
    mxl 50#+40# mono. 700H.

sound good?
    yeah ok...thats fine..lmao

idk about the MXL on the 700H tho....if ure fishing 40..get a JX imo

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    you really dont "need" a 2 speed, especially for shorter trips like that...its more of a "want" but it does make it a little easier when fish are straight up and down....

if you can afford it tho....i would recommend at LEAST 2 set ups

a 20-25 lb and a 40 lb

i havent been in awhile, but when i used to go, I would bring a 15, 20, 25, and a 40.......

GD
    Hey GD;
    What about those times the fish get line shy. Ever been on a albacore/tuna trips where the fish won't touch anything over 15 or even 20? Just for giggles I almost always bring a 12#, 15, 25, 9'-25 jig, 40, 60 & a 100# trolling outfit.
    Last edited by Liteweight; 04-25-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    Hey GD;
    What about those times the fish get line shy. Ever been on a albacore/tuna trips where the fish won't touch anything over 15 or even 20? Just for giggles I almost always bring a 12#, 15, 20, 25, 9'-25 jig, 40, 60 & a 100# trolling outfit.
    if you read a page or so back...i stated that i bring a 15 lb rod lol

yeah....been on many trips like that..caught many fish on 12 and 15 lb......also been on trips where the bluefin at catalina island wouldnt touch anything over 12 lb test and a #6 hook

trolling sucks..id rather not catch one if theyre only eating the troll...100lb is a bit overkill for a trolling outfit...lol

GD

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast