Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup for yellowtail and yellowfin off San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    Thanks guys!

I am normally a bass fisherman and I am trying offshore fishing as more of a new sport.

But the thing about the larger gear is that I dont think I will be doing any trip longer than 2 days in the foreseeable future. Most of my adventures will probably be 1.5 day trips and less, and people say that I would rarely encounter fish over 50-75# on these short trips. Departing from SoCal (San Diego mostly).

Would it be make a big difference to get the 2-speed avets?

Can anyone provide some links for specific seeker or calstar rod models?
    you really dont "need" a 2 speed, especially for shorter trips like that...its more of a "want" but it does make it a little easier when fish are straight up and down....

if you can afford it tho....i would recommend at LEAST 2 set ups

a 20-25 lb and a 40 lb

i havent been in awhile, but when i used to go, I would bring a 15, 20, 25, and a 40.......

GD

and for the bigger fish rods (fishing 40 lb), get a SEVEN foot rod....it will hurt less if youre on a bigger fish for awhile..lol

GD

I can probably get an Avet SX and an Avet MXJ (MXL?)

SX for lighter 20-30# spectra base. And what rod model and length? Seeker classic?

MXJ or MXL for heavier 40-65#(?) spectra base. With 7' rod? Specific model? Seeker classic?

Thanks a lot guys!
    Last edited by kzhlin; 04-25-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    and for the bigger fish rods (fishing 40 lb), get a SEVEN foot rod....it will hurt less if youre on a bigger fish for awhile..lol

GD

GD, so you're saying that on these shorter 1.5 day trips and shorter, the heaviest setup I would need is about a 40# spectra?

I can probably get an Avet SX and an Avet MXJ (MXL?)

SX for lighter 20-30# spectra base. And what rod model and length?

MXJ or MXL for heavier 40-65#(?) spectra base. With 7' rod? Specific model?

Thanks a lot guys!
    theres going to be many differences of opinion on this, im sure..

but IMO, do not use spectra lighter than 50...like i said, most guys fish with 65 lb.

For fishing 20 lb mono, SX would be fine, but if you can, you might wanna bump up to an MXJ for 20-25 lb mono with spectra backing.

For fishing 30-40 lb mono, I would recommmend a minimim of MXL, but would be even better if you bump up to a JX for 3-40 lb mono with spectra backing.

You dont "need" spectra, one of the advantages of using it is so you can use smaller reels and it will give you greater line capacity. If you get an MXJ for 20-25, you wont need spectra...if you get a MXL or JX for 30-40, you wont need spectra.

for the 40 lb rod, I would recommend maybe a Calstar 700H

GD

GD, so you're saying that on these shorter 1.5 day trips and shorter, the heaviest setup I would need is about a 40# spectra?

lol...check out my reply....IMO, the heaviest rod youll need to fish bait/throw iron is a 40 lb rod....

GD

youre overthinking and worrying too much about the spectra issue...lol....you dont NEED it unless you want to fish the smaller reels

GD

Thanks GD. I forgot to refresh my browser. Lol.

So heavier gear for irons and lighter gear for flylining?

Thanks GD. I forgot to refresh my browser. Lol.

So heavier gear for irons and lighter gear for flylining?
    lol...no, you can use the heavier gear for BOTH flylining and jigs man.....

good luck with whatever you get bro....

GD

heres my 2 cents:

dont get the sx, its fancy and looks good but, a newell 229p will out cast it every time. especially when fishing light 20# or 30#. perfect for live bait.GET ONE WITH A CLICKER.

next you are going to need a yo-yo setup. 7' calstar will knock em down but for the reel your going to want quick retrive. Nothing is too quick for a tail'. The new diawa saltist(single speed) are like 6.3:1 and will haul that heavy iron in quick.

I also for loval I like to bring my ulua cut down to about 9'6" as my jig stick. for cudas this will cast a mile. one down side is its like fishing with a shovel handle and gets heavy quick.

again just my 2 cent's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast