Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Setup for yellowtail and yellowfin off San Diego?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Setup for yellowtail and yellowfin off San Diego?

Hey guys,

I am interested in getting a setup for short 1-1.5 day trips off San Diego mainly for yellowfin tuna and yellowtail. And anything else that might randomly show up!

What kind of gear do you guys recommend?

I am thinking about an Avet SX or MXJ (2-speed?) with 30# spectra + mono topping. With a Calstar or Seeker?

Will this be enough for my purposes?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Last edited by kzhlin; 04-24-2011 at 05:10 PM.

I would go for the slightly larger MXL with 50lb or 65lb spectra backing with 25-30lb topshot... Can't go wrong with either the calstar or seeker. I would look into the Phenix as well. Really nice sticks.
    Last edited by E man; 04-24-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E man View Post
    I would go for the slightly larger MXL with 50lb or 65lb spectra backing with 25-30lb topshot... Can't go wrong with either the calstar or seeker. I would look into the Phenix as well. Really nice sticks.
    I agree with E......and 65 lb is generally the "standard" spectra to use when backing 20-40 lb mono topshot....

GD

Quote Originally Posted by E man View Post
    Yup. Forget the Phenix but look hard at the Seekers. Sweet sticks! 30 topshot can be changed to 20 if need be (and the later into the season it goes, the greater the need)

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Yup. Forget the Phenix but look hard at the Seekers. Sweet sticks! 30 topshot can be changed to 20 if need be (and the later into the season it goes, the greater the need)
    yeah great point Marley

if ure only going to have ONE rod to fish brother....id purchase some "topshot" spools of 20, 25, 30, and 40...just in case they get line shy, or some bigger fish charge the boat...

its so hard with just one rod..hopefully you can get ureself a "set" eventually brother...

good luck man

GD

if you can take at least 2 set ups.i had a lighter setup and 40lb in case we got into bigger fish.my last time.i hookup more than anyone using a my lighter 20lb top shot leader.had no problem ,with the size fish we caught.i didnt have to throw the bigger rig.of course if the fish are bigger better have the right size tackle....

two setup

light-med to med-hvy setup w/ 7-8' 50 or 65lb spetra backing with 25 or 30lb top shot
    live bait needed floroucarbon leader in case shy bit

med hvy to hvy setup w/ 7' 65lb spectrak backing with 40 or 50lb top shot
    yo-yo or hvy iron jig or any wfo albackore or tuna pop in opening

Hey Kevin

For the length of trips that you mentioned i use

Avet sx with 50#Braid And 15-20# leader with a calstar 800xl (For choive and small dines)
    Avet mxj with 50#Braid And 25-30# leader with a calstar 800l (For dines)
    Avet jx with 65#Braid 30-40# leader with calstar 900m (jig stick)
    All reels are 2 speed but you dont need it.

These three set ups would be all you would need for local and offshore trips in the 1 to 3 day range
    i have used these set ups for the last 8 years and there great but again this is personal opinion.

Dq