Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Mt. Whitney portal

Default Mt. Whitney portal

hey all,
    i didnt see a general for the eastern sierra's so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

anyway,
    after much internal debate ive decided to head up to lone pine in 2 wks, and i was wondering if you need a 4x4 or a truck with clearance to make it up to the portal? my buddie has the truck,b ut he tends to beflakey so i may be taking my car up there.

ill be in a tent and i know it is not safe to put the ice chest in the tent, but is it safe to put it in the car? or is it best to just let the bears have there way with it?

thanks

The road to the Portal is paved. There are nice camp sites up there but the fishing is limited. There is a stocked pond and you can fish Lone Pine Creek. A day hike to Lone Pine Lake could be fun. As far as the bears go, DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR! The bears will rip the doors right off if they see a cooler in your car. Not even a candy wraper. Use the bear boxes they have at every camp site. Be sure to actually close the door on the boxes. My buddy lost his whole backpack to a bear who took his pack right out of an open bear box. The Portal has some good food, best burgers around and pancakes that are bigger than the plate. Have fun! good fishin!

great,
    thanks a bunch. im glad they have bear boxes. last time i was at silver lake about 5 years ago, the rush creek campground did not. check out the picture we got of our little friend!!!

the road is just a paved road. the fishing in the pond is WIDE OPEN at any time. Tip: Pink powerworms on a size 10 egg hook, 2-4lb test, a small split shot. reel it in fast so it stays shallow. You'll probably be able to see the fish take it, if they are close enough to shore, take the split shot away and use no weight, all the fish are on the top anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff4321
    the road is just a paved road. the fishing in the pond is WIDE OPEN at any time. Tip: Pink powerworms on a size 10 egg hook, 2-4lb test, a small split shot. reel it in fast so it stays shallow. You'll probably be able to see the fish take it, if they are close enough to shore, take the split shot away and use no weight, all the fish are on the top anyways.
    i just read your report,
    and i have a fraction of the success you did this will be a great trip. thanks a million on the powerworms tip, ive never fished them before so ill give it a shot.

The whole road up to Whitney is paved. U will be just fine with a car. It is a steep road, but I took my small toyota tacoma up there with no probs. There is a small place to fish up there so u will enjoy! As far as food goes u need to get a bear canister. U can't leave food in ur car with the bears around. I worked with the park service up there for a week and we had to leave notes on people's cars who left food in their car.

Quote Originally Posted by duffman

i just read your report,
    and i have a fraction of the success you did this will be a great trip. thanks a million on the powerworms tip, ive never fished them before so ill give it a shot.
    no problem dude, it was actually my first time fishing the powerworms too. I'm kinda glad i bought them.

I've fished Lone Pine Creek a bunch of times but have never seen the pond. Is that the sand trap near the Aqueduct or is there another?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff4321
    Tip: Pink powerworms on a size 10 egg hook, 2-4lb test, a small split shot. reel it in fast so it stays shallow.
    dude, what is up with the pink powerworms?? my friend and i were fishing side by side at intake II and he just killed me with the pink powerworm!! i dont understand it..what is it suppose to look like? :?: and i thought fish were colorblind anyways. it just amazes me!!

Hey ttplt
    I believe the pond he is referring to is up the Whitney Portal road.
    There is a small pond where you can fish. During the summer months
    it does get crowded around it as it isnt very big. Great for the kids
    to fish in. Adults too, but I think the kids enjoy it more. IMO