Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella Canal: Legal to fish?

Default Coachella Canal: Legal to fish?

First time posting here, but I read this forum quite a bit. Anyways, last Sunday afternoon I was fishing the canal at Monroe/40th, a few other people were fishing there as well at the time. We were all approached by an Indio Police Department Lieutenant and threatened with arrest if we didn't leave and told we will be arrested if seen at the canal again. I have fished the canal on and off for several years as well as many others that I know. I personally have been approached by the Department of Fish and Game (at Monroe/40th and elsewhere) and Riverside County Sheriff's office at the canal without any issues. This is the first time I have ever been told or heard that I couldn't be at a non-gated section of the canal. I have read through the DFG regulations and see that the Coachella Canal is listed in the fishing districts, so I always assumed I was fine. Does anyone know specifically what regulations prohibit fishing of the canal?

Any insight would be appreciated, as I don't want to assume the risk of doing it and getting in trouble, but I would sure hate to not be able to fish there anymore.

I heard you can fish the Coachella canal, south of Bombay beach on down. I haven't seen it in any document just from local fishermen.

It is not legal to
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Even down in the IV? around el centro?

[quote=angler-in-training;5
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.

it is touchy when fishing the coachella, sometimes youll get kicked off, sometimes you wont...try contacting the coachella valley water district (which owns the canal) and see if they will give permission to fish it..the coachella canal goes all the way to the all american canal by el centro...no one has ever been asked to leave the canal south of bombay beach to where it meets the AAC. hope this helps...T

[QUOTE=team760;540965]it is touchy
    Last edited by Catrack77; 11-19-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    I have worked for CVWD for the past 27 years and they will not give anyone permission to fish the Coachella Canal. As far as no one being asked to leave or ticketed south of Bombay/Hot Mimeral Spa you may be right but there is always that chance, as it is all posted and a trespasser would not have a leg to stand on if they chose to. Good luck, they are biting well right now.

Couesdeer77
    good to see you posting again..hope all is well with your health....have you landed any big flats recently...

Quote Originally Posted by couesdeer77 View Post
    Good luck, they are biting well right now.
    Couesdeer77
    What species are biting well right now?

I always try and fish the canal where the county patrols and not city. My brother who is a sheriff who works these areas and told me the spots where he has seen people fish. He has never bothered anyone for fishing and if he did get a call he said he would just ask you to leave.

Now he did mention if he caught me fishing I would get a ticket or go to jail. Got love brotherly love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast