Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Pyramid Lake Nevada

Default Pyramid Lake Nevada

I fished pyramid lake nevada with a buddy of mine and his father april 15-17. Reports were saying that the fishing was going to be red hot and lots of fish and big fish were on the chew. I was so anxious to get up to the lake and to get me a big lahontan cutthroat. Tied up two boxes of flies the usual monster wooly buggers, lake beetles or aka pyramid tadpoles, and a various assortment of midges and nymphs.

Made the drive from Irvine all the way up to Sparks Nevada and i'll tell ya it was a long haul to get there. Unfortunately for us there was colder weather that moved in and slowed the bite down tremendously. Also the lake fishes way better with wind and all three days it was relatively calm. Heck we even had one day where it was blue bird skies and grease calm water

First day only two fish were caught between my group. My buddy got a 22incher and i happened to hook a 12in fish stripping MONSTROUS wooly buggers on an 8wt. You could only imagine the adrenaline fueled fight What was cool to watch was standing on the ladder and having schools of trout of up to 28inches cruising the shallows chasing your flies in. My heart was racing the entire time, but the fish didnt want to eat. Here is the only worthy fish from the first day

The second day was even more calm and beautiful which is a bad thing for pyramid. I ended up getting 2 fish one 19in and the other 22in. I had the best take i have ever seen in my entire life. I am stripping in a white tadpole fly and i am getting ready to mend my line to cast again and i see a dark figure dart from out of the depths at my trail fly. I remain still and watch the fish open its mouth, suck my tadpole fly down, and then turn. As soon as she turned i set and it was fish on. That made my day. My friend ended up getting 7 fish that day, it was definitely his day and his dad caught 2. This was the fish that i sight casted to
    Here is a video of his dad hooking up on a hen. You can hear him freak out when he had a 30in + lahontan cutthroat pushing 13 or 14 pounds follow the fish in. Yes there are fish that easily go into the double digits. Absolute monsters. Oh and that same day i had an 18incher cruzing the shoreline straight at me without a care in the world. I pulled out my net and ended up netting him head on. These fish have zero fear because they are the top predators in the lake.

Final morning is a whole nother story. Glass calm for the most part. Some cloud cover followed by wind and then wouldnt you know it calm weather again. Sheesh can this lake ever make up its mind?? The first two days i paid my dues and let me tell you it was tough fishing and extremely painfully slow fishing. But i toughed it out and caught six fish. Biggest being 24-25 in male. Now you may be saying the fish is bleeding and call me out for rough handling but the fly was barbless and was never near the fishes gill. It was in the roof of the mouth and then began to bleed once removed. I have never had this happen before but the fish swam away strong and healthy. Fishing really picked up the last day and i wish we could have stayed. My buddy got 3 fish so the last day was definitely my time to shine......finally this is my biggun for the trip We even ended the trip with a double hook up which was awesome. And props to my buddy for hooking a fish that made my fish look like a guppy

Here are some scenic shots from the lake the infamous pyramid island where the lake gets its name just a small line of ladder fisherman. i had about 40 more anglers to my right
    and heres one of me double hauling from the ladder. Its such as weird and foreign platform to fish from

Hope you enjoyed the report and i definitely had a fishing experience i will never forget and i hope one day i will get to fish the lake again and hunt down one of those dd monsters that roam the lake

WOW ! Simply amazing trip and photos. Wonder if you can fish that water with only a 5wt set up ? I have to try that place. Whats the best month and how hard to get permits ?

Awesome report. Thats definitely a good place to fish at. On my to do list.

GREAT REPORT AND PICS , Beautiful fish . I researched this lk. years ago and never fallowed up on going , maybe now I'll try harder . thanks for the post .

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    WOW ! Simply amazing trip and photos. Wonder if you can fish that water with only a 5wt set up ? I have to try that place. Whats the best month and how hard to get permits ?
    You can use a 5wt my buddy was using one the whole trip. only prob is that wind and being at the mercy of the bigger fish. all you can do is play the fish out for as long as it takes. bring a floating for nymphing and a fast sink line or a shooting head for stripping streamers. big wooly worms, beetle patterns, midges and nymphs especially a red copper john. heres the site for permits plpt.nsn.us/rangers/index.html

Thanks Man !