Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Kayak, Project

Oh that's cool now you know what model you're up against.
    It's a wider beam than mine too so should be even more stable.

Sounds like an early mold release or something like you say.

Looks like they were rather spendy from th get go! Nice man~
    http://fishingforcreativity.com/1241440.html

Wow! that weld looks stronger than the original seam, almost looks seamless the only thing you see is the steel mesh which only makes it that much stronger. Looks like you will be on the water in no time, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    Oh that's cool now you know what model you're up against.
    It's a wider beam than mine too so should be even more stable.

Sounds like an early mold release or something like you say.

Looks like they were rather spendy from th get go! Nice man~
    http://fishingforcreativity.com/1241440.html
    Hey thanks for the link I looked for the kayak the other day but didn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by viperman100 View Post
    Wow! that weld looks stronger than the original seam, almost looks seamless the only thing you see is the steel mesh which only makes it that much stronger. Looks like you will be on the water in no time, keep up the good work.
    Thank you,

I'm thinking about doing the whole seam. I don't like that little flange around the edge. Maybe I'll do a little at a time.

Default The weld is completed.

I finished welding it today. Now all that's left is modification and beatification.

Here's the area where I started the weld inside.

Here's a video of me making a weld.

I tried using this process with LDPE welding rod and it was like working with a noodle. Here I'm using HDPE strips that i cut from a bucket with sheet metal shears. It worked great! I wish that I had known how well it worked yesterday, it would have saved me a lot of time.

I was able to make a couple strips about 24 inches long and work through the hole that I cut in the bow to weld the split all the way to the bow. It was easier than I expected because of the stiff HDPE strip that I made from the bucket.

I put the rest of the screen that I have on the inside seam. I don't think that it's actually necessary but it can't hurt.

nice project. love to see it when you get it done.

Great job!man I can't wait to see your mods I think it will be totally worth it what a great post

Quote Originally Posted by keepemlo View Post
    Great job!man I can't wait to see your mods I think it will be totally worth it what a great post
    Thanks keepemlo,

I'm looking forward to getting it ready and taking it fishing but right now I'm taking a break for StriperFest. I should finish it soon though.

The last thing I did was cut a bucket down for the back and weld it back up. I melted it down. It's serviceable but I have another bucket, I think I'll give it another try.
    Last edited by fishinone; 04-29-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I lleft out the word "it".

Default Back on the yak "hack".

OK striper fest was a great time, we caught lots and lots of fish and spent time with a great group of people.

If you want out striperFest here are my links. Note there are lots of other reports also.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...gn-UP-!/page27

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...-and-fishinone.

Now I'm excited to get back to "Hacking the Yak".

Her's a picture of the bucket I cut down the other day sitting behind the hole it's designed to go in. I'll need to make the hole bigger.

That spot at the bottom is why I'm not going to weld it into the kayak. I can do better and I have another bucket.

I installed the back rod holders last night.

I mounted the front deck plate also. I'll have to pull it back off to add some sealer before I use it.

The plan is to finish it the modifications and test it this coming Saturday.
    Last edited by fishinone; 05-03-2011 at 12:11 PM.

You think the integrity and design has been compromised with those big holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    You think the integrity and design has been compromised with those big holes?

I don't think so. It should be fine as long as I plug the holes so water doesn't come in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast