Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pelican Kayak, Project

Default More progress last night.

I drilled the holes for the front rod holders. The Bolts arrive tomorrow.

One is a fly rod holder.

I modified another bucket too.

This one looks a little better.

Tonight I plan to cut the hole for the bucket then weld it if I have time.

Default It's getting there.

I cut the hole in the back deck larger and welded the bucket in.

I used a jig saw for this hole. i think it's easier than the Dremmel Tool.

I fit the hole to the bucket carefully. They were nearly sealed without welding. I put a 45 degree chamfer around the hole about half way through for the weld.

Here's the piece that I cut out.

Here it is with the tackle box snapped in.

Here's a view of the bottom. The bottom doesn't touch the floor, I want to let the kayak flex.

Tonight I'm going to cut the seat some to make room to get my feet on the floor then reassemble everything for the test drive.

Looking good man! Can use that as a bait tank too if you stick a battery bubbler in it.
    I dig it.

Nice rod holder selections too.

You have me thinking I want a plastic welder!

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    Looking good man! Can use that as a bait tank too if you stick a battery bubbler in it.
    I dig it.

Nice rod holder selections too.

You have me thinking I want a plastic welder!
    Thank you tacklejunkie,

This plastic welding is addictive, I've got all kinds of ideas. So much stuff is made from it, you could use it to make or combine lots of stuff. New stuff has recycling symbols on it so you can select stuff that works together easily.

If you want some help with welding, feel free to hit me up. I'll be happy to help you.

I've got a question for you. Where does your paddle leash attach? I've got a bunch of tie down loops but I'm not sure where I should put them and I don't want to make more holes than necessary.

I can use the bucket like it is, I might just keep a bubbler in the kayak in case I make bait.

Part of the idea for the welded in bucket is to use it as a socket for other buckets. I'll set one up, maybe a 7 gallon one, as a bait tank and make a filter out of one of those bucket tackle boxes with charcoal and cotton like a fish tank. I could also stick any bucket in there for dry storage etc..

I've got it ready for tomorrows test drive. I didn't cut the seat back yet so I won't be able to stand. That could be a good thing.

Then after the test drive, if all goes well.

1) I'll take it apart again.
    2) Take the rest of that little lip off.
    3) Put stainless steel screen all the way around the outside seam.
    4) Make a bucket tackle box holder for the front, This one will be tie down instead of welded on.
    5) Finish the seam and paint the top to look like stone.
    The stone paint is textured, that should give me a non-skid finish.

6) Put it back together.
    Last edited by fishinone; 05-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Not using any leashes on my paddle. She floats!
    Keep up the progress. She looks great all outfitted!
    Careful making the 180 to grab things out of the rear, it can get a little tippy!
    they say to try and keep your head in line with the center of the yak... if that helps any.

Also, to mount the yak in the water, they say to swing one leg over it like a motorcycle. Then sit your but down in it and start floating, and then fold in your legs!
    Have fun! Taking mine to San Diego tomorrow, yo!

Thank you tacklejunkie,

My paddle floats too, but I thought it might be handy to be able to throw it down to grab a pole.

My impression of the kayak is that it will be stable but I'll be really careful at first anyway. I've spent a lot of time in small canoes and I swim well.

Enjoy San Diego. I'm looking forward to the report.

Default It worked!

I tested out the kayak yesterday.

It floats!I didn't have any problems, no seams or welds cracked or moved. The bucket behind me was easy to reach, I could open the top and pull out a tackle tray by reaching behind me. I was thinking about putting it closer to the cockpit. I'm glad that I didn't, my arms are long.

My friend Doug took this picture for me from his Hobie Pro Angler.

We had great weather for trying it out. A little later the wind came up. It's pretty easy to make way against the wind.

That box open on the bow is a waterproof cell phone box. That white thing is an EPP foam pad that used for a cushion.

I had another EPP foam block that I was using as a back rest. It worked well until it broke. I'm going to have to have a better back rest. I fatigued very quickly after I broke it.

Here's a shot of the tackle box. I crossed a couple bungee cords there, I tied mt pole down with one thinking that I might get to keep it if I was upside down.

I think that I'll cut this chair down and replace the seat that's in there now. I've looked at the back rests that are for sale. I believe I'd like to have a little more support. I've had my shoulder broken and I need the back support. Arm rests might help too if I can keep from having them in the way. The chair is made from the same material as the boat. They had yellow but I opted for mushroom color.

Good deal, it floats!
    Love kayaking man, they are very fast! You can really get around in them!
    Only tough part is pulling yourself away from ramming into bushes when you have a fish on the line or are bringing a line in.

Default This cracks me up.

I'll probably take the arms off and cut the back away from the seat eventually but I think I'll give this a try just for fun.

Hahaha,
    I like the way you think man.
    Nothing is good unless it's modified.

..And people complain about buying bass baits and having to toy with them to make them work..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234