Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelican Kayak, Project

Default Pelican Kayak, Project

I found a Pelican kayak listed on Craigslist for $40. It has a 3 foot split in the seam on the port(left) bow.

I went an checked it out last night and wound up getting it for $30.

I don't know yet what model it is yet but it's about 10ft long. On the aft deck it has a screw out deck plate, the cover for it is missing.

My plan is to take every thing off of it so that I can repair the seam and make some modifications like adding a bait well, rod holders, tackle tray storage and a trolling motor.

It's all scratched up. It looks like it might have spent some time washing up against a bank or something but it can be made serviceable.

It's perfect for cutting holes in.

I paid $30 for the Kayak last night then bought $50 worth of tools and material to fix it this morning.

I'll post updates here as the project progresses.

Time to weld some plastic! Btw it smells bad if thats what your doing lol.

That boat had been on craigslist for a couple days now and I almost went for it, but 1- I already have two kayaks and 2-I dont know how to weld plastic so I dont know that I could have fixed it anyways, I probably would have tried resin and fiberglass matting but who knows if that would have worked.

Good luck with the project hope it all works out.

Not a bad investment. Post pics as your project comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    Time to weld some plastic! Btw it smells bad if thats what your doing lol.
    I'm going to weld it. I'm planning to do it outside in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by viperman100 View Post
    That boat had been on craigslist for a couple days now and I almost went for it, but 1- I already have two kayaks and 2-I dont know how to weld plastic so I dont know that I could have fixed it anyways, I probably would have tried resin and fiberglass matting but who knows if that would have worked.

Good luck with the project hope it all works out.
    Thank you,

Before I went and got it I watched some youtube videos and looked at instructions at the link below.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php

I ordered yellow material and stainless steel screen here but I ordered Harbor Freight's cheapest plastic welder.

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...ron-67102.html

I'm pretty handy, it should come out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by reservoir dog View Post
    Not a bad investment. Post pics as your project comes along.
    Thanks, I'm planning to start with damage pics, after I get it set up on saw horses in the back yard.

It just occurred to me that I should use material that I remove as I make my modifications, for the welding. The color should match.

definately do a photo repair thread so others can benefit from the step by step instructions.

Cool find!

PS, fwiw..
    The pelican I bought yesterday the manual says not to set them on sawhorses!
    Don't know why and I'm not experienced by any means. Just thought I'd relay that!

It was the first thing I thought of doing with mine but it said not to?!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    Cool find!

PS, fwiw..
    The pelican I bought yesterday the manual says not to set them on sawhorses!
    Don't know why and I'm not experienced by any means. Just thought I'd relay that!

It was the first thing I thought of doing with mine but it said not to?!
    Thank you,

That's good to know. I think they want you to support it on straps to spread the load.

I might do that but I think just setting down on the grass when I'm not working on it will be good enough.

I brought it into the living room last night for a planning session.

It turned out to be a hit with my son.
    Last edited by fishinone; 04-15-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: change subscription, add pic.

Yup, Looks good!
    They said to just set them down flat!
    I put mine down on my living room carpet and pretend I'm in a personal rocket ship hehe
    Took mine out today for the first time undressed. Get a report going later. You're gonna like your new kayak!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Default Disassembly.

I took the kayak apart today by drilling the pop rivet head off with a 3/16" diameter drill bit.

Here a picture of the parts.

I took a picture of the split from inside.

The split is about 45 inches long.

There's a section of the original weld that was only welded at the very outside edge of the flange. The rest of the seam was welded all way across the seam.

This 10 inch weak spot is probably why the seam split in the first place.

Now I can start cutting holes for access to the seam and for fishing modifications.

I'm headed for the back yard right now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast