Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Budget Kayak?

Rondawg! Long time no see buddy. Was waiting for you to check in!
    Miss ya man, how's the family.

Family's good bro! Been to long since we wet a line. Been flying my heli and my plank and haven't fished for a long time. You still live out by the lake?

Oh I forgot,
    The back is doing much better now days. I think it was my bicycle that I hurt it on.
    As long as I keep exercised I'm ok. The Yak can make my legs a bit numb cause you know how I sit out there all day without giving up but I still gotta add a padded seat to fix that. lol

I put a piece of the Ram-X that I cut out of my Pelican in water it floats but just barely. Anything you put in the kayak could pull it down easily.

I'm planning to add some foam to make coolers in my repair project.

You can just splash water on you kayak if it's too hot. You could easily lower the material temperature.

Hey Tj,

Nice job getting the kayak to your liking, good to see your still out fishing. I have a question. Since you're the only person I know who has fished from a pontoon, tube, and kayak, what is your preference? I've been looking at a Hobie Mirage Outback, don't know if the kayak is the way to go? What's some of the advantages and disadvantages of the kayak compared to a tube or pontoon? Let me know, we need to get out and fish.

The kayak is the toughest to keep positioned, being as the pontoon is more clumsy in the water (draggy) and the tube is continuously positioned by your lower half. Wind effects you pretty good and you have to be quick draw with the anchor, and actually use that anchor.. effectively.

The tubes are slowest and draggiest of all but positioning, trolling/dragging plastics and hitting a smaller area of water more completely are more enhanced than the kayak and pontoon. Tubes are also the quietest approach of all, and I nail tons of bass sneaking up on them very, very quietly.

The pontoon, you can stand, and (easily) attach a trolling motor. Yes you can get trolling motor on kayak but it's more parts and trouble. Not to mention you cannot stand on the tube or (my) kayak (yet). If you have bad knees or can't stand sitting for long periods, maybe the pontoon is the way to go.

If you want to dissect an area, tube it.

If you want to hit points and run and gun and scout spots, use the kayak. It's fast and no registration require. Makes your arms buff too and fish tow you even more than in a tube or pontoon.

If you don't mind lugging the pontoon around, it's basically a micro bass boat with all the amenities once you put a trolling motor on it. But it's lots of work to carry around. they do usually have a good storage capacity though and let you carry all the tackle you can fit. Some pontoons run shallow and others deeper. Some have dual bladders for more safety and more shallow effect etc. Choose wisely for where you'll use it. I think you already know this Bassguy from being on the water with the pontubers.

They all have their advantages. I bias none over the other.
    If you do get a pontoon though, the only way to fly is to power it with a trolling motor and register it. Otherwise you are not using it to it's full ability.

PS I think the Hobie Mirage with the pedal drives are like top of the line best yaks you can get! Get 'er done!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-05-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Picked up a nice Scotty for the front of the 'Yak today.
    Still modifying to my liking!

truly inspiring at this point. I am sold, and will be getting a kayak instead of a 4k boat.
    keep up the good work.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVyObcZ4JZM

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567