Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Budget Kayak?

Here's a shot of the adjustable footrests while I have them off for sealing the screws.
    To be honest I don't think they are even necessary but I guess a nice addition.
    IMO they add weight lol
    Also, testing a small piece of silicon on my kayak first on the inside and outside plastic to see if it melts the RAM-X material.

silicone test

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Good luck with that, bro. I'll be out at Perris this Sunday. If anybody sees me, stop by and say hi. OD green Seyvlor Tahiti. I'll be near the island and power cove.
    I'll see what's poppin'. Might just be there if I don't do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I'll see what's poppin'. Might just be there if I don't do tomorrow.
    Hope to see you there. I want to check out your new bass buggy.

I know there is 6 pages of replies and I'm late to respond. But may i suggest if it has not been said but check out craigslist ads. And look for reputable kayak makers. From my personal experience with Pelican Kayaks and Ocean Kayaks. Ocean kayaks have out performed my past Pelican kayaks. For instance, I had two Pelican Kayaks that did not perform well in the water. Specifically during the summer heat out in Puddingstone the plastic material began to get soft, thus the Pelican kayak was beginning to bend in half, i noticed dents and crimps in the kayak, it made me panic and paddle back to shore! Take my word for it or not but I will never buy another Pelican kayak, and last the design is just cheaper and is not as stable as Ocean Kayaks. For now, I've fished from only Ocean Kayaks, specifically the model Zuma II, and the popular Malibu Two XL. These two are all tandem kayaks. Reason being can carry a friend so when it gets windy they can paddle while you fish and the extra room in appreciated. In addition you only need to pay for one non motorized water craft fee and it's fun to b.s with a friend. Another thing about Ocean Kayaks is they are built very well! They are stable and break the wake easily not like my Pelican, if it hit a wave head on water would come on board! I remember reading about being on a tight budget, when looking for an anchor get a old heavy motorcycle/ atv/ dirt bike chain sprocket, tie a rope and you're set it'll hold you down. And when looking for rod holders try pvc piping and a 'L' bracket plus plastic screws and silicon to do the job. In anything PM i'm rambling on but i'll help anyone with my suggestions.

I actually noticed that in the manual it said that in hot weather the kayak can become flexible. It said this is normal.

I do fish lakes that can reach 110* on a hot day. Maybe hotter with the reflection of the water.

I've fished it in almost 90* weather so far and no problems. did even notice any flexing.

I'll keep an eye out and report back if it gets hairy. lol

I do note that Pelican has another kayak exactly the same body as this one outfitted for fishing for another $150 or something. I'm hoping mine is fairly safe for fishing local freshwater. I guess only time will tell!

I saw some inflateable kayak nose and tail shaped air bladders that you stuff in the nose and tail for kayaks. I think I am going to grab a pair for my yak just in case I flip or get flexible and she goes down. That way I can be sure it won't sink. does the Ram X plastic sink? anyone know? Looks like it would sink like a rock lol.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-30-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Again, i was just not satisfied with the Pelican line of kayaks that I have experienced. For now on it'll be Ocean kayaks and I still want to try Hobies line of kayaks, Malibu, and Wilderness kayaks.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    does the Ram X plastic sink? anyone know? Looks like it would sink like a rock lol.
    Yep It'll sink, Almost all kayaks sink. Some manufacturer make models that have a type of foam injected into areas that will give a neutral bouyancy however they are selling points and if your kayak doesn't say it has it, it doesn't. I've kayak fished for about 6 years now and am currently on my 3rd kayak so I've learned some things both good and bad.

For the air bladders most people that use sit insides will put one bladder in the front of the yak so they can still have some storage in the back. The idea is it will let the yak float on end and you can then pull it to shore and properly bail/bilge it out.

I don't know much about pelican yaks but it should be more than adequate for freshwater applications. A note on adhesives I've learned the hard way that not all adhesives are equal for plastic adhesion and most of the kayak fishing community either uses "marine goop" or "3M 5200"

Welcome to the addiction
    Matt

MARINE GOOP, all the way, the silicone wont stick properly.

For the silicone I just used it to make gaskets for the screws really.
    I'll check out the Marine Goop stuff.

I was reading that the silicone is not for below the water line but I think it should hold for what I used it for just those lil screws. We'll find out soon. I may be taking the yak to Barrett Monday?! Woot!

Thanks for the advice guys all taken into consideration!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-30-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Yo TJ, long time, how's the back? Might be an issue in a yak.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast