Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Budget Kayak?

Definitely nice deals at $3-4 a hatch!
    Cool link.

I found my rod floaters during the move so don't have to use leashes now either. (Credit Socal Bassman product review.. circa 2007-2008)
    Also found my rivet gun to get things permanently installed and my gasket sealer.

Looks like I have a bit more work to do on the yak. Should be nice and solid when I'm done sealing and riveting.

Oh yeah I found my old castable fish finder also. New batteries and now I have a tiny portable fish finder to bring with me. That old Hummingbird Smartcast I have. I see bass pro still has the sensors just in case mine is old.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-23-2011 at 04:41 AM.

I'll have to do rod floaters but I'm to cheap to buy them. I have some old pipe insulation in the garage that looks like about the same stuff. I think I'll install it with Velcro extension cord straps so I can take it off easily. I was thinking of using rod leashes but that seems like it could become a knot in a hurry.

I used regular pop rivets with the through holes all over the bottom of an old aluminum boat years ago. I put a little bit of silicon under the head as I installed them then squirted a little in the hole and wiped it off right away. It was 100% sealed.

The fish finder is a must have. I'm planning to use the one from my boat with another transducer.

Doh!
    Looks like the factory screws for the footpegs were leaking today so I took on a bit of water while fishing in the wind and 2 foot chop. First time I had crashers come up over the nose of the yak! didn't phaze me one bit! It's much more stable than I thought it would be in a 2' chop.

Now to test it in a 3 foot chop when the weather at the local fishin' hole gets even crazier haha.
    I took my pontoon in 3 foot chop but that's different, and I did have to leave shortly!

Got a bunch of flyline worm fish and crankbait fish but nothing of size to show off today. Should have brought the swimbait rod!

Definitely need to seal up some holes in the yak before the next outing.
    I bought the silicon and got all my rivets together and everything. Will get it done soon and sealed up tight along with sealing the rod holders.

It'll handle more chop than you think. I dealt with 3 foot wake on lake Perris last year in my Tahiti. Over in the main lake when there were tons of lake lice and it was windy as heck. A little sketchy at first, but then I got used to it and started jumping waves intentionally. Loads of fun! So when we gonna go 'yakkin'? I got a fishfinder...I'll find 'em and you can catch 'em, he he he.

Here's a shot from today at the lake while breaking.
    You can see the two screws near the front of the yak for the adjustable footpeg runners.
    Those are the things that leak from the stock factory. Silicon should do them up.

Dig my anchor too.

Here was the firs fish on the new Black Widow II. Poor thing got it good and ripped him all up. He'll be infected before long.

I have one last court case and then I can seal up the yak and bring her back out.
    should be able to meet up soon.

Craigslist, and ask around your local tackle shops. I found a guy selling his fishing kayak on craigslist as he was moving back east, and even though it was not a name brand per se, it was within your budget, had a front rod holder, and the other bare necessities needed with no leaks or problems except a few snapped bungie cords which are easy to replace.

Just favorite a search for "kayak" in your area and those around you on craigslist, and keep your eyes peeled!

EDIT: I'm late to the party, you already found a kayak, glad it works! I have a Pelican too, the one I was talking about above. It's the Castaway 116 and it's going strong so far, although I haven't had much time to use it or work on rigging it. :(
    Last edited by TroutKings3; 04-27-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    I have one last court case and then I can seal up the yak and bring her back out.
    should be able to meet up soon.
    Good luck with that, bro. I'll be out at Perris this Sunday. If anybody sees me, stop by and say hi. OD green Seyvlor Tahiti. I'll be near the island and power cove.

I have read your thread, tacklejunkie and must say, I am very impressed. You took what some would consider a negative and turned it into a positive and ended up with a very slick kayak and stayed within your budget. You definitely are a glass half full kind of guy. Well done and enjoy the efforts of all your hard work and ingenuity.

Very kind words. Thank you, I am flattered! Here's where I try to be humble!..

There is also many very creative guys on this site as well. I received lots of ideas from those who chimed in to help too! When we are all getting along, we can collect and get some nice things done and have a good time doing it. I appreciate everyones help as usual.

I am very lucky to have what I do in these tough times and am very thankful for what I have.

I did end up slightly over budget on the rigging and I think I still need to add a few things here and there. I got lucky with the $50 off on the yak itself also, and the fact that the store was very close to home so virtually no gas or shipping. Just CA state taxes but you gotta lose somewhere. Luckly I've come into some work here and there and been able to splurge a bit on the budget.

Not a bad Kayak at all.
    I think I'll keep it to the fresh water only and later get a sit on yak for the saltwater.
    One day I want to pull on a fish who might threaten my safety in the middle of the ocean

My only complaint with it is the manufacturer put the screws for the foot pegs near the water line, and on a choppy day it can produce a very very very slow leak.
    A simple $3 fix with some silicone.

I'll get more pics up later when I have more work on it done. Seems like I have a million things to get done all the sudden right when the fishing is picking up.

PS interested to see how fishinone's yak turns out too that's gonna be good for a $30 pickup!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-28-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast