Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Kayak?

Damn I want a sit in so I can do DVL and a sit on so I can hit the harbor too.
    Decisions decisions.
    I guess I mostly do freshwater.. and hunting pig stripers at DVL later doesn't sound so bad. Always wanted to hook one of those DD stripers. I have like five striper swimbaits.
    I think I'll go with a sit in.

Now, to decide on which one.

Thanks for all the help guys this helps a lot. Lots of stuff to think about.
    I'm sure whatever yek I do get I will modify the crap out of it.

I made a electronic gear display for my motorcycle that tells me what gear I am in from scratch. Maybe I can build so neat electronics onto my kayak too. Rechargeable lithium weightless bilge pumps and so fourth. Fog lights for fishing bass tourney days and hooking pigs in front of the anglers. lol
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-13-2011 at 06:49 AM.

I'm thinking I might end up going through a kayak or two myself right now deciding which one I like.
    I know I should save and go with something nicer, but I guess I'll try the cheaper yak first. If I don't like it for some reason I suppose I could slang it in the classified section for $50 less or whatever. I like the Malibu yaks but can't come anywhere near affording one right now. I'm pushing it with the $200 budget I have looking at $280 kayaks. lol
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-13-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Bingo found one on sale. It's perfect.
    Think I might go back for the kill.
    Micro bass kayak action.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.

I has been done!
    Along with the first modification!
    Now to learn how to flip it and get back in after it's been flipped. haha
    Then on to the Bass Cave for further largemouth stalking modifications!

First modification

WOW!!!! you dont mess around, when I was shopping for mine I waited over a month to find the right deal on the craigslist adds. Well I'm glad your happy with your purchase and it really is a nice looking boat, you wont have too much room for stuff in that thing but they have stow aways that you can mount on the hood of the kayak like a backpack so you can carry your gear in. PM me if you want any info on DVL regs considering kayaks I had a guy on here point me in the right direction before my first visit and with his help my first visit there went smooth and I was on the water sooner than expected.

Yes I am learning now it's very small! haha
    No matter really, I like small things and make good use of minimal space in the rest of my life.

It looks to be able to accomidate a person ranging from about 5' tall to about 7' tall.
    Me being about 6'6" I use up about 2/3rds of the legroom. There is 1/3 legroom for space as well as more in front of my feet if I kick stuff up there and tie a string on it to get it back

The back storage is rather small too. Looks about good for my worm bag and a few hardware tackle boxes.

I think there's sufficient space behind the seat for food and clothing. That may change some when I mount the rod holders.

Looks pretty good! It's the same hull as the pelican fishing model, only $150 cheaper and without the cheap basic plastic things I can get for it from walmart. (cleat, anchor, rod holders, cushion etc). Need the oar holder clips or will fashion one.

I have a whistle and a new stearns matching blue life jacket.
    Got some new rapala aluminum handle tungsten blade pliers I will anchor to the yak with a leash.

Think I need a dry bag or two and maybe some of those hatch covers and a drift sock.

Few small things I will piece on here and there.

As long as it's remotely stable and tracks better than my pontoon I wont have any complaints!
    Should be able to gain access to good areas with it quickly.

I think the sale end date of 4/16 helped me make my decision. Three days later this puppy would have been back at $300.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.

right next to your seat, between the seat and the hull of the boat is a good spot for a worm bag and my life vest has pockets for my my hook box and my weight box so thats usually what I carry, if I plan on trolling some sort of swim bait that gets it own designated rod and I just dont change that out during the day so I dont have to have somewhere to store it. youll make due, I'll try to get pix of mine up so you can see if you can use any of my ideas (which of coarse arent really my ideas because I got them from seeing what others had.)

Thanks for all your help dude.
    Just dropped a bill on equipment to outfit the kayak. It should be good to go once I get all these goodies mounted. Will post details in a bit!
    Wanted to fish tomorrow or at least maiden voyage but think it will be a few days until I can add this stuff.

Cool looking yak, bro. Sometimes I wish I would've gone that route. Almost pulled the trigger on the Old Town Vapour before I bought my boat. The bass definitely will have nowhere to run now. Can't wait to see the mods you do to that boat.

I think Tubes and Yaks both have their place!
    I wish I still had my fish cats bro. haha. Love those things. The tubes AND the pontoons. Like them all. But my caddis!
    There's a regular out there now on one and he smokes me in my caddis.
    Just had to get out of the caddis man. Those things are slow and I have bad knees now days anyways for that kind of stuff. I never was a fast kicker even on the nicer tubes.

I worry about positioning, and even then, hooking a toad! lol
    This is gonna get interesting!

Imagine a 20lb striper. that will be like a 20lb thrust trolling motor haha. In a yak thats gonna be a ride!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 04-14-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast