Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fish Size for local charters off San Diego?

Default Fish Size for local charters off San Diego?

Hey guys,

I am new to the sport of saltwater fishing. I am normally a bass guy.

Anyways, what kind of fish should I expect from 1 day to 1.5 day trips from San Diego? what size too? I am aware of yellowfin and yellowtail in the summer.

Any tips and suggestions? I will be going pretty often during the summertime. So advice for some summer tuna, yellowtail, etc. fishing? Lures? Techniques? Tips!

Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

The 1-1.5 days usually get into good yellowtail action and see decent yellowfin as well. Lures depend on where the fish are. If they are surface, fly line an anchovy or sardine. I have found that lure wise however, nothing beats the iron. Tady and salas are good ones. Usually in a blue/ blue white pattern. U can use them both as surface iron as well as yo-yo them off of the bottom. Gets them every time. Another thing is when the captain gets you on a school of fish that are deep and says "let them go", its a race to the bottom. Usually the first lures down there get a hookup. At least that has been my experience. Good luck and look forward to your posts.

Thanks man. Time for me to get onto the water!

If you've never fished iron before, there are two different kinds. Light or surface irons are made of aluminum and are used to cast out and retrieve close to the surface. Heavy irons are made of a heavier metal and are used for bottom or yo-yo fishing. The same design or model of iron can be a light or a heavy depending on what its made of.